Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Here comes . . . something


It looks dangerous, sort of like a huge storm coming in from the Southwest to cover us in snow or rain or mud or lava or . . or . . or . . nothing.  As it turned out the cold front just blew through . . and I do mean blew.  It was cold(ish) and mighty windy in the afternoon.  But apparently it came and went so fast that it didn't have time to drop anything on us.

But that won't last.  The weathermen are predicting another much bigger cold front coming from the NORTHwest later in the week.  Those poor folks in Phoenix are going to have to suffer through temperatures in the 70's.  Brrrrr.  It will be a little colder up here in the "high desert", as it is called but I think it's a bit early for snow of any kind.

Oh, yes, we do get snow in Arizona.  Around here we may get an inch or two in a storm though it usually doesn't last long except on the north side of buildings where the sun can't reach it.  But 80 miles to the northeast, in Flagstaff, there are winters where they get 7 or 8 feet of it.  And there's a ski area, whimsically called the Snow Bowl, just outside of that town.  'Course it's a couple of thousand feet higher than around my neighborhood.

My elevation is just about the same as Denver but being further south we are saved from the big storms of winter, I guess.  I remember as a boy in North Dakota drifts so high we could climb up to the roofs of two story houses and slide right down to ground level on drifts of snow.  And ice-skating through town on the frozen-over streets.  And playing outside when it was 20 below zero.  I have no desire to go back to those "carefree" days.  Bring me some sunshine, balmy temperatures and some Mexican food!

11 comments:

  1. Yeah, you can keep the snow, but some Mexican food will do the trick for me also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you live in the perfect spot...humidityless too. I love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem like that at times, Jerry. And certainly the humidity is very low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your winters better than mine :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah but your summers at the shore . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that's a great picture -- looks like a giant ocean wave rolling in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You grew up in North Dakota? I've been permanently scarred by reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I agree, entirely, about the sun and Mexican food.

    Your blog title amused me . . . I suppose that's ALWAYS the case, but sometimes it approaches in a really dramatic fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warren - Yes, I was struck by it and had to pull to the side of the road for a photo.

    Bee - Yes, Bee, but unlike you, I moved south. I've never read The Long Winter - it would probably depress me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, us Phoenicians are suffering with the 70 degree weather.

    What sane person could live where it is 20 degrees below?

    ReplyDelete