Saturday, November 13, 2010

The week ahead

Well, it's Saturday.  Looks like a fairly quiet week ahead.  The BRD and her Beau Jack are off to Cancun.  SWMBO is house/pet sitting.  So I'll be batching it.  I went to the store the other day and bought three steaks to get me through part of the week.  I'll figure something out for the rest of the time.  I told SWMBO yesterday I probably would cook some lamb chops, to see what they're like.  I've never had them except at a cheap buffet meal and I didn't care for them.  But everyone keeps talking about how good they are.
It doesn't seem to me like there's a lot of meat on 'em but perhaps I'm wrong.  Or perhaps they're richer and one doesn't need a lot of meat.  I just don't know.

Odds are lamb chops won't make it in my door though.  I've never been a big fan though I did have some great lamb shank at a restaurant in Greektown in downtown Detroit maybe 30 years ago.  They also featured something they called flaming cheese, which they served on a platter doused with vodka or ouzo or something.  Right before the dish arrived at your table, the waiter hit it with a lighter and flames rose three or four feet into the air.  It was spectacular but it seemed a bit dangerous to me as I gazed at the char marks on the ceiling!


It was good though.

I don't think I'll try any flaming cheese at home either.  I've wanted to try to flambe something some time but I've never been able to work up the courage.  The smoke detectors probably wouldn't like it either.

By the way, don't compliment my photography.  I swiped the photos from the Internets.  (Good ol' Google!)

Have a nice week.

5 comments:

  1. Lamb Chops:

    Grill them over a hot fire until medium rare. The thinner they are the faster you can ruin them. There is a middle eastern spice called "Ras-al Hanout" which if you first rub the chops with olive oil and then put on a coating of this spice makes the lamb divine. In fact my ladies (the management and the child management) consider my butterflied grilled (rare) leg of lamb with Ras Al Hanout dry rub one of the very best things to eat.

    YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamb is a good thing - but definitely don't overcook it. I say go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like lamb - but you're right there isn't much meat on the chops.

    I flambee lambs kidneys in whiskey - they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like lamb. Don't care how you cook it. Had it a few times while visiting Greece. It takes a liking that I don't have.

    ReplyDelete