Wednesday, December 7, 2011

70 YEARS AGO

Today is Pearl Harbor Day, when Japan launched a surprise attack on the U.S. Naval Fleet docked in Hawaii.


The U.S.S. Arizona was struck, exploded and sank.



The body of the ship was left where it sank and today is a memorial.



For the United States, the sneak attack was the beginning of our entry into World War Two.  For more than 2,300 sailors at Pearl Harbor it was the end of their lives.

As President Franklin Roosevelt said then it would be a day that would live in infamy.  And it remains so today . . . 70 years and many more wars later.

4 comments:

  1. I have one great-uncle who was lost on that day. My grandparents went to visit the memorial when I was a small child. Of course, what I remember most from that visit is that we got a postcard saying that they were bringing my mom a moo-moo (at least that's what I thought it was). Since they had a dairy farm I figured they were bringing back a stuffed cow. I was VERY disappointed to find out it was a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our grandparents had Pearl Harbor, we had the Kennedy assassination and our children have 9/11. Sad days we'll all remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce-
    thanks for this post. spent some time today with
    some mid to late 80 year old men who recalled
    where they were and how their lives soon changed
    by the events of this day 70 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen made a good comparison. WWII/Pearl Harbor changed the world permanently.

    S

    ReplyDelete