Wednesday, December 21, 2011

HOME IS . . . WHERE YOU LIVE

I had a brief email conversation with a friend in California this morning.  I started by asking, rhetorically, when I've been gone from the state in which I grew up, North Dakota, for decades . . why do friends and family who still live there ask me when I'm coming "home".  My answer?  I AM HOME!


Growing up in North Dakota meant long winters of frequent subzero temperatures and snow and ice everywhere.  I moved to Arizona and continue to live here because I love the climate.


People say "but don't you miss the change of seasons?"  No, I don't because I have the change of seasons right here where I live.  Now granted, about half of my 33 years in Arizona were spent in Phoenix and it does get unbearably hot there in the summer.  But other times of the year it is heaven on earth.


And have I mentioned the Grand Canyon?  One of the great wonders of the world is only about 100 miles from where I sit typing these words.  Since I reached Senior Citizen age and received my Golden Age passport, it doesn't even cost me anything to get into the park, as many times as I want.

So don't ask me again, folks, I am home.  Home in Arizona.




6 comments:

  1. I was born in California and have lived in Oregon now for thirty-one years, and people still ask me when I'm coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in Texas and still live here, but I've traveled extensively. Frankly, Texas isn't what it used to be, and I don't mean that in a flattering way. I'm hoping to someday give Colorado a try. You make a good point about home being where you are. I've known lots of people who retire back to where they were raised and most can't run away fast enough when they realize nothing and no one are as they remember them..

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen - That's exactly what I mean. I haven't been back to North Dakota since 1988. That's 23 years! You'd think they'd get the drift.

    Scott - You are exactly right. I have a friend who worked in Washington and later in Denver. When he retired, he moved back to a small town in North Dakota. I couldn't believe it but he seems happy there. But he's one of a kind, as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous images. beautiful scenes. nice little
    trip you afforded us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home is where the heart is, or so they say. My home is where my wife is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never understood the "don't you miss the change of seasons" thing either. In L.A. the change of seasons are in every evening sky and glowy moon and shift in wind and its all as distinct as you could imagine.

    ReplyDelete