Monday, March 5, 2012

CHOPS

Some of us just don't take good care of their teeth.  I don't know why.  Maybe because of the dentists we had when we were kids.  Our dentist was my godfather.  He was a little short guy and my brother insists that he used to climb up in the chair, putting his knee in one's stomach to get the leverage to work on the patient's mouth.  My brother has lousy teeth.  Mine aren't as bad but they're nothing to write home about.

So, why am I telling you this?

Because I have an apparently abcessed tooth that's going to have to come out next Monday.  And, as my new dentist told me today, serious gum disease that will have to be treated.  Now, I don't mind going to the dentist.  Hell, I don't even mind having a root canal.  The last couple of them I had (years ago) were done after I'd been shot up with enough Novocaine to put a small country to sleep and I didn't feel a thing.

But the point of this is why do I, we, put ourselves through the agony of dentistry, if that's what it is.  Frankly, I think with the new dentists of today there's very little agony involved.  Maybe just mental.

I remember one time when my favorite uncle was in his late 70's.  He had always taken incredible care of his teeth, brushing after every meal, flossing (presumably), and keeping them clean and white.  But here he was, in his 70's, being told by his dentist that he needed a root canal.  Now, what the hell is the justice of that?

So, I'll go.  I'll get my tooth pulled.  I'll begin treatment for my peridontal disease.  I'll probably bitch and moan to my wife about how much this is costing.  And you know what? 

Some day I'll die.  Anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Or, just run all your food through a blender. Then die. Anyway.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say you can't take your money with you when you die, but that isn't true if you put the money in your mouth, by fixing your teeth. I've had everything done that dentists offer, except I've never had a bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but until you die it is nice to be able to chew with your own teeth. (or qa reasonable facsimile thereof)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as you relish food and flavor, the choppers have important work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad has me brainwashed - I have to go every six months or I'm afraid I'll lose all my teeth. But I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in line for 2 crowns and am not thrilled. Damn molars.

    ReplyDelete