Monday, February 18, 2013

TRAVELS

On a clear day, you can see forever . . .



Those snow-capped mountains are the San Francisco Peaks which contain the highest mountain in Arizona, Humphreys Peak at a little more than 12,630 feet.  They're about 80 miles away but on a clear day like today they are very visible.

I always think about the first people to come upon these scenic wonders on horseback hundreds of years ago.  I can't imagine what they thought.  Later the West was being civilized (sort of) and the mail had to get through.


Until the railroads made their way to the Pacific Coast, that job was left to a brave bunch of riders on horseback known as the Pony Express.  This sculpture is on a plaza in Scottsdale, which used to be known as the West's Most Western Town.  Nowadays it's more commonly known as Snobsdale because of all it's wealthy residents.  The New York Times described downtown Scottsdale as a desert version of Miami's South Beach.

The BRD has just returned from a trip to Florida for the 80th birthday of her father.  He surprised her at the airport with a beautiful bouquet of flowers.


And tomorrow I'm heading for Mesa (another suburb of Phoenix) for the annual Stanley picnic.  I'm sure you've all heard of it so I'll save further discussion until I get back.

6 comments:

  1. I was surprised when I recently learned that the Pony Express only lasted two years, yet it remains deeply imbedded in our collective consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Stephen....I didn't realize how short lived the Pony Express was. Really cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the view! We watched the Modern Marvels show about the building of the Union Pacific railroad - fascinating! And terrible too, as much of our history is.

    Gorgeous flowers - what a nice dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, have a wonderful picinc.

    (If you'd like a higher res copy of that tangerine photo, let me know.)

    ReplyDelete