Tuesday, August 13, 2013

BLAZING COLOR

In our living room, a ceiling fan whirls constantly in this overheated summer to provide some additional cooling to prevent the air conditioning from running constantly.  It is where SWMBO and I gather to watch television or movies.  It doesn't bother me but SWMBO says the downdrafted air dries her eyes out and irritates them.  So about a week ago she came home from a shopping trip with this.


Let me assure you this is not a traditional color of any garment, visor or cap for her to wear.  I noted that it was "hideous", or words to that effect.  She answered that she knew that but she only got that color to keep me from swiping it.

Well!

But to continue.  A few days later came a post from my California tennis-playing friend, Tom, about a new shirt he had acquired.  Stand back from your screen, folks.  Here it is.


Tom noted that the color was unlike his normal colors of white or blue and he talked in this post and in this one about a certain amount of derision the shirt prompted from his playing partners.

But Tom, never one to take criticism lying down, handled himself well, I thought.

Incidentally, that visor SWMBO brought home looks even more glowing when a picture was taken with the flash on.


So never fear, Tom.  If my wife is right, at least no one will steal your shirt.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Last night and the night before were the supposed height of the meteor showers.  SWMBO went out around 2 o'clock Sunday night and saw two.  Last night we both went out around the same time and saw two more.  I may have seen a third just as we were getting up to head back into the house to bed but it was so fast I couldn't be sure.

Suffice it to say that there is so much ground light emanating from the Phoenix metropolitan area that a meteor search is somewhat groundless (to coin a phrase).  I read on Facebook that a former colleague of mine who lives in Prescott, the area we moved to Phoenix from in March, went out with his family last night and saw perhaps a hundred.  Much less population there, therefore much less ground light.  I wish I'd have been there.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I was out running around at mid-day yesterday and saw a sign for Tom's Barbecue.  Never one to miss some good Q I went in and had a brisket plate special with red beans and rice.  Excellent.  Tom's has five locations as well as operating a big pink food truck.  Don't know why I didn't get a picture of that.

Later I stopped in at the local NPR radio station, KJZZ, to visit an old friend, Al Macias, who is the managing editor there.  It was good to see him after all these years.  After a lengthy conversation about "the good old days" when we worked together at KPNX-TV in Phoenix, he gave me a tour of the station.  Quite plush and, as he noted, very quiet.  Not like our old noisy newsroom.  And everyone was so YOUNG!

12 comments:

  1. Strange how everyone is starting to look so young. Especially cops. To me they're starting to look like kids with guns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was too cloudy here to see anything in the sky. Yeah, who would want to steal the shirt or visor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like that color - but then we always knew I was odd :)

    Man I could eat some BBQ right now! But the kind I want is in NC so I guess I'll have to wait a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was Chicago-style BBQ. They had mild sauce and hot sauce. I asked how hot the hot sauce was. The gal said "Hot!", so I took the mild. But they had a spot where you could get a taste of the hot sauce. It wasn't bad so I filled a cup and added it to the mild sauce on my plate. And that's why the emblem of a Q spot is "the HOG!"

      Delete
  4. Yes hopefully no one will steal the shirt. I think that And SWMBO's visor are safe.
    Too much marine fog to see the sky show here on the coast. That BBQ sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that marine fog spoiled your viewing. Too bad. The Q was great.

      Delete
  5. We saw a house in France painted that colour. Painful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can change the direction of the fan to up draft and you won't have to see that visor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but then I'd die of heat exhaustion. Better just to stay in another room. (or country! :^))

      Delete