Sunday, August 25, 2013

SUNDAY RAIN

The weather forecasters have been predicting for days that this weekend would be filled with tropical rain and thunderstorms.  Something like this, I supposed.


About 3:30 Saturday morning, I was awakened by a fierce clap of thunder. With anticipation I went to the window.  I saw some heat lightning to the west but no rain falling.  I went back to bed expecting to be lulled into blissful slumber by the falling rain at any moment.

That was it for Saturday but the weathermen had promised that Sunday was really going to be the day for rain.  And it came.  I know that because I was out on the patio counting the drops.  Literally.  Not enough to dampen the ground even.

It has been cooler.  It appears today's high will top out at around 87, easily 20 degrees cooler than the other day.  The skies have been grey.  Or gray. (I never can remember which is which.)  But rain?  Never anything more than those random drops, so far.  This is the alleged height of our "Monsoon Season".  Not too monsoony, if you ask me.

But I will continue to have hope.  After all the football season is nearing and everyone knows one can only truly play real man's football in mud.

13 comments:

  1. Bummer. I was hoping y'all could get a nice drenching.

    I'm afraid the days of football and mud are about gone. Artificial turf has sanitized it. :(

    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't talking about the Dallas Cowboys!

      (Or the Arizona Cardinals.)

      Delete
  2. If only Yosemite could get some rain. I just heard that special fire units are circling the ancient sequoia. I hope these oldest living things on Earth survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen them but I hope as you do.

      Delete
  3. My sister has a weather station in Colorado (in her back yard--that kind) and keeps track of things and sends her daily information to NOAA. She says it counts as a "trace" if the sidewalk gets uniformly damp. But it's, like, a thousand degrees there. I think if you threw a bucket of water toward the sidewalk half of it would steam off before it ever hit the ground.

    We are having a lovely little rain here in Oregon, which is unusual for August. But I love it, and hope for the best for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murr thanks so much for stopping by and please return again. (I'm not sure but I think we may have a common ancestor from the Mayflower.)

      I'm about ready (mentally, at least) to move to Oregon. This summer here has been a scorcher and too long.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful photo. Even though I live in Wales, where it rains a great deal, I've never seen it fall so heavily that it could be photographed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francesca I wish I could claim credit for that photo but I simply found it on the Internet and swiped it. When I lived in Mexico, there were many times that it rained that hard, though.

      Delete
  5. It's a pity Americans don't play cricket; that'd guarantee rain. If I sound somewhat flippant in my remark it is only because I recognise how serious this and associated problems, e.g. Yosemite, are in the US. I share Stephen's hopes for your sequoia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cricket might do it. Thanks for your thought on the sequoia, Tom.

      Delete
  6. When I saw this post I thought that picture was YOUR rain. Darn!

    ReplyDelete