Friday, September 27, 2013

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

According to my calendar, today is September 27th.  We've just passed the Labor Day weekend.  It's over a month until Halloween.  It's about two months until Thanksgiving.  And nearly three months until Christmas rolls around once again.

Actually I just studied my calendar and it's 90 days until Christmas.  But it's never too soon for the folks at Walmart, apparently.  I was in a neighborhood Walmart store today and here's what caught my eye.


I took a second look and realized those are artificial Christmas trees, already decorated with lights and on sale NOW!

But wait, there's more!



Yes, the weather has broken but it's still 85 degrees outside.  And the Christmas decorations have already gone on sale.

I can remember being amazed when Thanksgiving "stuff" went on sale before Halloween had passed.  But this display today truly bumfuzzled me.  I was left with mouth agape.  But I recovered in time to take these pictures and remember this old bit of doggerel.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue-ish.
If it wasn't for Christmas
We'd all be Jewish.

As the sign says, Merry Christmas everyone!


11 comments:

  1. "Bumfuzzled". That's a new one on me and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, despite your best intentions, you are officially the first person to wish us a Merry Christmas. I guess we should recall Dickens eh? Keep Christmas in our hearts all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like our local Costco. They're already selling everything Christmasy except snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to recall that when I lived in the UK, about now would be time to think about Easter advertising!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's that comercial time of the year. Happy retail to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the Christmas stuff in our Walgreens (drug store) the other day. Ugh. But they also had Cadbury creme eggs with green goo in the middle for Halloween. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I want for Christmas is for Congress to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I start feeling like Christmas is coming in, like, June.

    ReplyDelete