Followers

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

SNOWED IN

I have gently made fun of my friends in colder, snowier climes in recent days.  So I thought I'd give them a chance to get even.  This is a photo of my car parked next to my house in Bismarck, North Dakota in 1966.


When I left the house preparing to drive to work, I found that an overnight massive blizzard had left a snowdrift that completely covered the car.  I walked the mile or two through the continuing snow storm to get to work, where I remained for three days.

When the snow finally stopped and I was able to get home again I wielded a snow shovel and a broom for some time in order to dig out the rear of the car and access to the interior through a passenger door.  Then I started it and just backed it out of the drift.  A large portion of the snow clung to the top of the car as I drove slowly down the streets.  It must have been quite a sight.

You can read more about the blizzard here.  This is why I now live in Arizona!

By the way, there's a clue in the photo to my upcoming Throwback Thursday picture.

10 comments:

  1. Read the link, sounds like quite the storm.
    The taillights look like a '64 or '65 Impala. Not a ragtop I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was a hardtop and frankly I can't remember what year it was.

      Delete
  2. Whoa! (By the way - you're a winner!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 1966 I was fourteen and had only seen snow once. I'm posting about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a '64. My parents had one...blue as I recall...with a 283 V-8. It would go 0-60 in September. Good times!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never have to shovel sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does look very cold. I remember getting up in the morning, putting on boots and a big fuzzy robe, heading out side to start the car and then letting the car run while I showered and got dressed for work. By then, the car was warm and the snow had pretty much melted off. Of course, gas was only 29cents a gallon at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prescott had a snow storm like that about that same year, I think. So it wouldn't have helped to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sight!
    I would not have guessed for the licence plate. Here at the time they started by F1 ou F6 (for morse code)...

    ReplyDelete

Spammers are back so comment moderation is back on. Sorry.