Sunday, June 14, 2015

YOUNG TORBECK . . . ISN'T!

My baseball buddy Steve looked like this when I first met him.

I'm surprised his back lasted with all the toting of that big old Auricon camera. But in time the cameras grew smaller. This is one of the few times I remember Steve wearing a tie.


Before he became Baseball Steve he was beer drinkin' Steve. That may have been why he was such a lousy pool player.


He's the guy in the corner trying to figure out which one of those balls is the cue ball.

Probably because of my huge influence on Steve, he grew a beard.


Looks happy doesn't he? He kept the hirsute look for many years before he finally shaved it off one day. It doesn't look like it made him happy.


I have tried to get him to grow it back over the years.


So far his wife Debbie has had more influence over him than I have.

But I'm glad to say that he has regained his sense of humor. Maybe it was that duet with Jimi Hendrix in Seattle.


Whatever it was, the irrespressible Steve Torbeck smile is back again.






A couple of months ago, I celebrated a big birthday and here's how Steve showed up for it.


Still a whack-oh! 

He's celebrating his 66th birthday today but he told me on the phone last night he still won't stop the Old Taylor lines.

Oh well. After 40-some years, I still love yuh, buddy. Have a great birthday.

3 comments: