Tuesday, September 8, 2015

TUESDAY TRAVELS

The political trail.


Some of the press badges I collected in my travels covering politics, from the 1968 national political conventions in Chicago and Miami Beach to the 1984 meets in San Francisco and Dallas. With stops along the way at Richard Nixon's 1969 inauguration and Queen Elizabeth's visit to California in 1983 and the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles in 1984.

The top row includes badges my grandfather and father collected attending Republican national conventions back to 1924.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

13 comments:

  1. Super collection.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you kept them all, nice collection. What questions would ask "The Donald"? if you were covering his campaign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there are so many. Maybe: WTF?

      Delete
    2. I can hear it now:

      You: Bruce Taylor NBC News

      Trump: You look good, not as good as I do but good. Go ahead.

      You: Mr. Trump is your campaign one yoouge WTF?

      Trump's security man (his grey haired guy, guy been with him forever, loves him) Punches Taylor in the face. Hard.

      Delete
  3. You've inspired me to unearth mine as well. Clearly we covered some of the same trail. I've also got some of those once fabulous Indy 500 medal badges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I still have one or two of them around, too. I was going to have a couple made into cuff links but what would I wear them on?

      Delete
  4. Some of those were very exciting conventions. That is a unique collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You guys are savers. I never save anything. Of course, it is unlikely I had any medals or ribbons to mount for display. Ah, minimalists. And when you raise a minimalist they don't want any of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad Cash in the Attic was canceled. Though I doubt the Brits would have bid top dollar on your collection. They might still hold a bit of a grudge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such "trips" are so meaningful! Beautiful sharing.

    ReplyDelete