Saturday, September 17, 2016

SURPRISE SIGHTING


I've had this picture in a standby file for months and decided to use it today.

When I posted it here and blew it up I noticed for the first time (I think) that there is a hummingbird zooming in on the feeder.

I'd never noticed that before.


When I cropped it down and blew it up further my suspicion was confirmed.

It appears to be a female Anna's or Black-chinned hummingbird though it's difficult to tell from this photograph.

It looks more like the Black-chinned because the female of the species doesn't have a black chin while the female of the Anna's does, strangely enough.

At least that's what the illustrations in my new bird guide show me.


For the first time I have a guide to birds found specifically in my area.

It's new and if you're in the Prescott area it's available at Jay's Bird Barn.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection with the store or the creator of the product.  Darn it.)

8 comments:

  1. Nice unknown catch.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photo edit programs really help with wildlife shots. Happy birdding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see it in the first shot until you mentioned it, then it could have been a UFO...colse up confirms it is a hummer, not a UFO. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be exciting to find a backyard bird in your book. I wonder how many different species you will be able to spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to have a hobby; no it really is! Particularly one where such obvious joy and satisfaction are accrued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love watching hummingbirds hover around. We have quite a lot of them around where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool. They're so small they're easy to overlook. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a cone-shaped ceramic wind chime that somebody made and gave us for Christmas one year. It hangs on the front porch, and hummingbirds seem to think it's a feeder or a delectable giant flower.

    ReplyDelete