Wednesday, October 18, 2017

AN UPDATE

It's been awhile since I have updated y'all on my wife's progress since she broke her femur (thighbone).

Monday marked the four-month anniversary of the fall on our (new) back patio.

Tuesday was the anniversary of the surgery that implanted a titanium rod from her hip to her knee of her right leg.

It's been a long haul but today I can report that she went to a doctor appointment, then we went to lunch and then to a lengthy grocery shopping excursion.

Judy/SWMBO left her walker at home for the first time and used only a cane and occasionally my arm to ambulate.

She did use an electric cart in the grocery store but that has predated her fall and even I have occasionally used one.

These old bodies sometimes aren't made for walking.

Then I told Judy about a young mother I had seen in the grocery store.

She was slim and lithe and at one point noticed the laces on her high-top sneaker were loose.

She didn't bend over . . she raised that leg and calmly tied the laces while standing like a flamingo and carrying on a conversation with a store employee.


Some days the amazing wonders of youth are just a bit much to take.

17 comments:

  1. If I'd tried to do what that young woman did I'd end up in traction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Youth is a gift of nature, age is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd take my youthful body, but nothing else. Fair trade, really. Compassion comes easier now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Judy on her recovery! If my shoe came untied in the store, I'd probably just take it off, set it on the cart and tie it in a knot loose enough to slide my foot in, then slip it back on with no danger of stepping on loose laces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balance is certainly not my strong suit, or anywhere near it, now. Yikes!

    And congrats to Judy (and you, her caregiver!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, glad to hear Judy is doing well and healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear SWMBO is on the mend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've occasionally done the standing on one foot to tie up an errant shoe lace, but I prefer to be more steady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A long time friend of mine, a former Division 1 hockey player, joined an over 55 team after a 20 year lay off from the sport. At 70 he was the oldest guy on the team. I asked him how he did, he said, "I lost a step, no make that three." Age is an unforgiving mistress.

    Judy can ride the electric cart, you not so much. Glad she's recovering nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear SWMBO is doing so well. Now that girl who tied her shoelaces....she's gonna be in for a rude awakening in about 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay SWMBO! I'm glad to hear that she's progressing nicely.

    And I could NEVER have tied my shoe that way - even when I was a kid! My family always joked that they should have had me take ballet instead of piano because I was such a klutz :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear of the progress! I practice standing on one foot while brushing my teeth. It is supposed to be the best exercise you can do to avoid falls. I'm now working on standing on one foot with my eyes closed. It really gets your balance tested!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great report on Judy. Do you guys ever drag race those mobilized carts in the widest grocery aisles ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to have issued a challenge on occasion.

      Delete