Wednesday, November 29, 2017

MY MOVIE CAREER

Actually it's not much to write home about, as the old expression goes.

I was an extra in a couple of movies when I lived in Austin, Texas back in the early 1990's.

But it was in pretty high company.

The first (or second, I don't remember) was a film called "A Perfect World", which starred Kevin Costner, Clint Eastwood and Laura Dern.

My big/two-second appearance on the screen was
playing an aide to "the governor".

He was played by the late Dennis Letts.


There we are together.

In typical extra fashion, I'm the one with my mouth tightly shut.


Two other extras and I were playing aides who were just supposed to stand in the background as "the governor" walked across in front of us.

(In living rooms of families, people said . . . "here it comes, oops, there it was.")

In screen grabs from the BRD's television the other day the caption on the screen summed up my movie career.


For that second or two on screen I got a handshake from Eastwood, who was also directing the movie, a steak lunch, and $75.

Oh, and sitting across a picnic table from Eastwood I watched him snap Dern's garter when she put her leg up on a bench he was sitting on and hiked her skirt up.

Nowadays he'd probably be charged with sexual harassment for that bit of horseplay.

My other film experience was with Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".


I had a couple of close-up scenes with both actors but unfortunately they both ended up on the cutting room floor.

I can be seen, briefly, very briefly, far in the background in a supermarket scene.

DiCaprio, incidentally, got his first Academy Award nomination for playing the mentally handicapped younger brother in this strange film.

Once again I got a nice lunch and a small check.

I'm still waiting for that big call from Hollywood.

But it was fun and I recommend the experience to one and all.

19 comments:

  1. Jim Lerner's father Fred made his acting debut in "Palm Springs Weekend" he played a motorcycle delinquent who crashes a college kid party, his first speaking role, Fred didn't have another speaking part until he appeared with Charles Bronson in "Hardtimes" he said a couple of words and then Bronson knocked him out. His speaking roles were 30 years apart. Old Fred as a stunt man played in over 200 films..."Die hard". "Planet of the Apes", Beetlejuice" and many, many more. His son Jim told me one day, his dad came home limping and bruised. "What happened Dad?" "I had to roll out a car at 45mph onto asphalt and we had to do 2 takes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, you probably learnt a lot about movies in general and about actors and casting while having fun. Thanks for sharing the proof...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to be a film extra.. not much call in Wales....though IN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS was filmed a few miles from Trelawnyd ...but I was only a baby then

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small roles but still exciting. I've never been on a movie set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you're a BIG STAR in my book. :)

    A pilot friend of mine flew the planes in the TV series Walker, Texas Ranger. In one scene, as it appeared they were going to crash, he was given a speaking part. To do this he had to join the Screen Actors Guild and be paid "scale". And, to this day, he is eligible to vote for Academy Award...or is it Emmy Award?...nominees and ultimately the winners.

    Oh, his speaking part? With a frightened look he screamed, "Look out!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you get those gigs, through your journalist contacts? I never did anything of the sort, but as a kid used to watch Richard Boone come out of the Pilot Butte Inn in Bend to go to the shooting of "Have Gun, Will Travel"...they hired many temps from Bend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just answered a cattle call. The Texas office for the arts or somesuch put a notice in the paper that they were looking for extras. Both times.

      Delete
  7. Oh, and I've always liked Laura Dern, she's had a couple interesting roles. Wonder how her dad Bruce is doing, like us he must be getting long in the tooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce is 81 but he was nominated for an Oscar as Best Actor for his role in "Nebraska" in 2013. He lost to Matthew McConaughey for "Dallas Buyer's Club" but he did win the Best Actor award at Cannes. He's still acting.

      Delete
  8. I've never done anything like that. A former flatmate did an extra role in a film. She was a silent role for all of a few seconds playing a staffer in a scene with Christopher Plummer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did they darken your hair for your role as a governor's aide? Did they provide the wardrobe?
    Why didn't you snap Laura Dern's garter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I showed up with a full beard (no one had said anything about it when I was cast) and the powers that be went ballistic. I said "so shave it off." They did, shortened my hair and probably washed it but didn't darken it. Yes, they provided the wardrobe. It's that kind of act (snapping the garter) that can get you into trouble.

      Delete
  10. Bruce you are the man.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you could put your own Walk of Fame in your backyard. You would have the first star, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pretty sure "Assistant Garter-Snapper" doesn't appear on film credits, so you were wise to refrain. What great (and enviable) experiences you describe. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But no Oscar? Not even a nomination? Shame on Hollywood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! My friend David once was an extra in a movie scene with Raquel Welch and Burt Reynolds. His scene ended up on the cutting room floor too but there was one scene left in the movie where all you can see is his arm. I can't even remember what the movie was called. David said that Reynolds was a very nice guy but Welch was not such a nice lady. Obviously, your opportunities were on much higher end movies. I don't think the movie David was in ever saw the inside of a theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have led a charmed life resulting in some magical memories. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete