Sunday, December 24, 2017

CHRISTMAS WITH THE DUKE

One of the biggest thrills of my 30+ years in broadcast journalism came back in the 1970's when I got a chance to interview John Wayne.

The meeting took place on the bayside patio of his home in Newport Beach, California.


The story that brought about the interview doesn't matter now, all these years later, but Wayne was as nice as could be to a couple of long-haired youngsters from Arizona.

But the other day I was surfing through the t.v. channels and came across a promo for "Christmas with the Duke".

All day and all night on the AMC channel there will be non-stop movies starring John Wayne.

Well I had to alert my friend, Timmer, who was the videographer with me on that day long ago.

He responded by sending me a picture of a picture that I took showing him with Wayne.


That's a blow-up of the picture that Tim has on the wall in his house.

Like I said, a couple of long-haired kids in the 70's.

The hair is much shorter and sparser now, the waistlines have expanded and John Wayne passed away not long after honoring us with that interview.

But I doubt if either one of us will ever forget that day.

And who knows, maybe we'll have to take a look at AMC tomorrow and see some of that shootin' and fightin' and lovin'.

Christmas with the Duke!

Yee-haw!

9 comments:

  1. Hope you didn't slip and call Duke, Marion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these photographs. It must have been such a special experience for you. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watched 'The Cowboys' the other evening; apparently The Duke told Bruce Dern that he'd be hated because he was one of two people that had killed him in the movies.
    Hope you and family have a good Christmas. Tad nippy here, should have gone to Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! I love that you got pictures! I think that's better than any celebrity interviews I ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of my favorite memories of working with you Bruce. I've told that story a thousand times. Merry Christmas to you Judy and all my friends in Arizona!

    timmer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see that big statue of "The Duke" every time I land at the Orange County Airport!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful memory! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was living in Paris when John Wayne died, and his death made big headlines in all the papers. I was so surprised, since I'd thought of him as déclassé and corny (I was 19, I think, with zero sense of history). But obviously the French had a great respect for him, and it's heartening to know that he was a kind man.

    ReplyDelete