Sunday, January 28, 2018

CONTINUING EDUCATION

The words rang in my head: "Will you ever learn?"

I was trying a new recipe yesterday for Butterscotch Blondies with toasted walnuts, chocolate chips and dates.

SWMBO came into the kitchen at one point and I said quietly but firmly to her: "This is not a good time."

She asked if I had burned the walnuts to a crisp and I responded in the negative.

As she left, I thought "well, maybe only one of them, which I threw away."

But that wasn't the crux of my Senior Learning.

After I was through I admitted my fib to her and then said "but that wasn't the main problem."


The perplexed cook staring at his newly misshapen spatula.

I told SWMBO I had ruined a rubber spatula and showed her the "finished" product, which I had used to stir the butter while I was browning it over a medium hot burner.

That's when she spoke the words that led off this blog post.

I haven't tasted the Blondies yet and I was wondering awhile ago if they will be rubbery.


SWMBO pointed out that the spatula was the one she (had) used the most.

I told her I'd get her a new one.

* * * * * * *

Update on the birdbath heater: there's a loose connection inside the bulb socket which can't be reached so a new one will have to be purchased.

Maybe I can get one at the same store that sells rubber spatulas.

13 comments:

  1. You used rubber in a heated pan? Yikes! I'll pass on those carcinogen-laced brownies . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's nothing....you should see the one I stuck down into the blender when it was running! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I'd pass on those brownies. Sorry. I don't use plastic (i.e., foam) plates at work to brown anything in the microwave or even put hot toast on, because of the melt factor and the carcinogens. sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to go shopping. Hope they don't take away your kitchen privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember melting a spatula in the same way. I only did it once! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I''d take my chances & eat those - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silicone.

    Once melted an aluminum kettle onto the stove. The odor was... memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your expression is worth the trouble.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure you're quite ready to graduate from home cooking school...so keep continuing your education!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need a SILICONE spatula, said the man who also once burned up a rubber spatula. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Bummer about the spatula! None of ours have done that, but maybe they're not rubber -- maybe they're silicone? (As you can tell, I am not the cook in our household.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As Charlie on the MTA, will he never learn, no he'll never learn. Don't ask me about the Pyrex pan I left in the hot oven and then ran cold water on it in the sink

    ReplyDelete