Tuesday, May 8, 2018

LOOKING FOR PREY (OR A MATE)

When I stepped out my front door recently I spotted a strange sight on the roof of my neighbor's garage.


I recognized it's distinctive shape immediately and identified it as a roadrunner.


Rather surprisingly, it remained while I ran into the house and grabbed my camera.


Wikipedia tells me that roadrunners become inured to humans and this one certainly showed no fear as I edged closer and focused my zoom lens on it.


I'm not sure if it was warming itself in the sun or just on lookout for something to eat, or maybe a mate.

The Wikipedia article says the birds are monogamous and mate for life, usually remaining in their "territory" for a full year.

They are also known as chaparral birds or chaparral cocks.


Mexican Indians and American Indians consider it good luck to spot a roadrunner and since they eat a variety of bugs and snakes, including rattlesnakes, I consider it good luck to have them in the neighborhood.

Plus, they are quite a stunning specimen.

(And not once did it go "beep-beep".)

14 comments:

  1. Waiting for a delivery from Acme?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice dose of good luck for you! Great pics of this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent photos.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your eye out for his buddy, Wile E. Coyote. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool sight, and great photos too! I'd love to see a roadrunner someday. I'm sure I've never seen one, even on my brief travels through the Southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures turned out well, so I'm assuming you didn't use an ACME camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My FAVORITE Arizona bird! Saw one on the golf course in flight and couldn't believe how big the wing span was! You're not in Kansas anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You read my mind. I was going to ask if it went "beep beep".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bird, lucky you captured it via your camera. Do they run on roads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They pretty much run wherever they like, Natalie, and can reach a speed of 20 miles per hour.

      Delete
  10. My first time seeing a roadrunner on a roof! You got a good picture. When we first came to Arizona in 1981 they were everywhere then they disappeared and made a come back in the 2010's. They are so fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete