Sunday, August 28, 2016

THE PASSING OF TIME

I am getting old.

In reality, I AM old.

From time to time I hear about someone having a birthday and it jostles me into the realization once again that I have reached the age where I can see the end of the road.

I don't mean to sound maudlin about it so let me tell you of some of the people whose increasing age has affected me.

A few days ago Sean Connery became 86.

Can that possibly be?

I still think of him as the dashing young James Bond.


But I realize that as I have watched him in a plethora of other roles over the years that he has been growing older.

Ten days ago another handsome actor, Robert Redford, turned . . . wait for it . . . 80!

No, I can't believe that.

The blonde, blue-eyed actor who played The Sundance Kid in a movie I have seen multiple times?


But I've seen him a couple of times recently, too, and that once-smooth face . . . isn't . . . anymore.

Today once again I was jolted into recognizing my advanced years when I learned that a friend of many years, who I have always thought of as kind of a young whippersnapper, recently celebrated (if that is the correct term) his 70th birthday.

And I am more than half a decade older than he is.

Recently I've been treated for an arthritic left hip (with good results I'm happy to add) though the doctor told me I'll probably have to have it replaced some day.

I joked that I was too old for such a procedure.

He responded that I was just about the right age for it.

Ah well.

One of the current candidates for President is 70, the other is 68 and tomorrow one of my U.S. Senators will mark his 80th birthday.

And he's running for another six year term.

Maybe the 70's are the new 50's.

10 comments:

  1. "young whippersnapper" Well that gives away your age. I'm with you on the age thing, I'm 70 and I can not imagine having enough energy for the most demanding job in the world.

    Then again I can't imagine handing that job to a young whippersnapper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art." You're only as old as you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting older is a gift and better than not aging.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've picked a great time to be old! As you say, with our Presidential contenders, we're either going to have the oldest or second oldest person ever elected to the office. Life expectancy is up. Social Security hasn't collapsed yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I hear, 70 IS the new 50!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, 70 is not 50. I'm sorry, but a life's work in science prompts me to ask you to compare, and examine the evidence.
    Sorry,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was struck by the "age thing" yesterday when I heard about Gene Wilder dying at 83. I'll always remember him as that manic, young actor in "The Producers". I have one of those "zero on the end" birthdays coming up soon. I can't believe it.

    By the way, I'll share that burger with you anytime you want. You are right, it is too big for one person and I generally share it when I go there to indulge. Besides, no one has called me a delicate flower in....well....ever, so I'll buy you a drink to go with the burger.

    ReplyDelete