Thursday, November 2, 2017

SO LONG, KATIE


Katie Lee has died.

The Arizona legend reportedly passed away peacefully in her sleep at her home in Jerome yesterday.

She was 98 years old and according to friends of hers, she was active right up until her death.

If you don't know of Katie, you really missed someone.

I met her and blogged about her a couple of times.

The first was here in a celebration of her 90th birthday.

The second time was here, only a few years ago when I had her sign a book for me that she had written.

She was a great lady with a stellar career and a strong attitude about the place in Northern Arizona called Lake Powell, coupled with a wont for salty language.

If she could have had her way, Glen Canyon Dam would have been blown up and the Colorado River allowed to run free as it once did.

Rest in peace, Katie.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a grand lady. Did she know Ed Abbey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall but I'm sure she did.

      Delete
    2. Oh, did you know that the model Abbey used for Hayduke, a guy named Doug Peacock, lives down near Yellowstone, and continues the ecological good fight, particularly in terms of protecting the grizzly. He has a blog also, but the name escapes me at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Katie Lee, but I'll have to read up on her now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she was pals with Ed Abbey, she's all right by me. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was a remarkable activist and a strong advocate. I'm sure she has inspired a few generation of people who care about nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds wonderful, and it's sad that this is the first I'm hearing about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must learn more about her...she sounds very interesting. May she RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful face. Such beauty and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read another tribute to her yesterday. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete