Monday, January 1, 2018

2018 HATH ARRIVED


SWMBO and I marked the occasion last night with a meal of seared scallops and steamed asparagus, both topped with homemade Hollandaise sauce and a nice bottle of Prosecco.

Lovely.

Sandwiched around that was a movie about Emily Dickinson, A Quiet Passion, starring the daughter of an old friend, Cynthia Nixon.

While she delivered an exquisite performance, we found the movie somewhat dreary.

She's been getting rave mentions, though, that may lead to an Oscar nomination.

We saw a brief flurry of the early (8:30) fireworks from the city complex, then watched the "ball" drop in Times Square in New York City on television before calling it a night shortly after 10 p.m.

And so on to another new year.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had an excellent meal and enjoyed a good movie. Perfect way to end one year and start another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way to kick off a new year! Best wishes for 2018 for you and SWMBO and the BRD and her man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like the perfect kind of New Year's celebration! Wasn't Emily Dickinson kind of a dreary character in general? I mean, her poetry is fabulous, but I think she was something of a depressive personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Queued up the movie on Amazon Prime. What I like about Cynthia Nixon is she is the only one of the Sex in the City 'girls' who has gone on to do serious acting work. I've enjoyed everything she has done. Thanks for the heads up on a new movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a delicious meal. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good way to end the old year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this and at first I thought you had "sacred" scallops, and I thought, ooo, wow, I've never heard of that but it must involve some sort of sea-water ritual and mermaids and then I re-read it and, oh yeah, it was "seared". Oh, right, them I know about.

    I first saw Cynthia Nixon in the theater in NYC when she was in Indiscretions with Roger Rees and the young Jude Law (nude). That was 1995, and I looked it up -- Kathleen Turner was also in it (don't remember her) and Eileen Atkins (don't remember her, either). I didn't understand the play, or why Jude Law had to take a bath in the middle of it, or why Cynthia made Roger so mad that he assaults her. But I remember that Cynthia was so young, and so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you enjoyed a relaxing New Year's Eve. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year!

    It was quite cold here, and I stayed in. Spent the evening reading through the memoirs of U.S. Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go for a new year with one of my favorites meals...
    Happy New Year Bruce!

    ReplyDelete