Saturday, February 24, 2018

ARIZONA SNOW

Yes, it does snow in Arizona occasionally.



Not often or much where I live.

Though I do remember the day I opened our bookstore to the public back in 1996.

We had been preparing for it for weeks since the space we rented had only bare concrete floors and, at first, no electricity.

With the great help of SWMBO's son Scott we built it from the floor up.

But the night before it was scheduled to open we had a huge snowstorm that dumped half a foot or so of snow on the area.

SWMBO didn't want me to venture out the next day as we lived in Prescott then, about half a dozen miles from where the store was located and she was afraid I'd have an accident or get stuck.

But I went anyway.

We only had a handful of customers that first day and took in around 30 dollars.

But later on it became a going concern, at least for about 7 years.


That was one of the last large snowstorms that I remember in our area of Arizona.

(And I always have to remind readers that we are not in Phoenix, we're about 80 miles north of there at an elevation of about 5 thousand feet.)

So we do get snow, once in awhile.


This was yesterday and even people like me, who grew up in North Dakota only about 50 miles from Canada, have to get out and snap a few pictures.

I took this one of my neighbor's house across the street and gave it to him to either post on his refrigerator or send to his relatives back East.


And yes that is a tent to the left behind that pickup.

I joked with him that if his wife had thrown him out he could sleep on our sofa.

But he said he had put it up yesterday and planned to try it out by sleeping in it last night.

(I never said everyone who lives here is totally sane!)

16 comments:

  1. I wonder if he slept in that tent "last night"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our snow last Saturday was replaced by rain today. LOTS of rain. I even got a flash flood warning alert on my cell phone. I'd rather have the snow. It's so pretty when it's falling. The rain...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love to drive in the rain, preferably at night. Call me a risk taker!

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was a day for soup or hot tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, a cup of tomato soup did the trick.

      Delete
  4. Did you have many book signings at the store?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, and I thought it was cold down here!

    ReplyDelete