Thursday, March 8, 2018

CYNTHIA/MIRANDA FOR GUV?

While I try to avoid politics in my blog I sometimes am drawn into it almost against my will.

Such is the situation today when I read in the New York Times that the daughter of an old pal I met in my Mexico days reportedly is considering a run for governor of New York.


A mutual friend in Seattle asked me this morning what I thought.

My response was that I knew Ms. Nixon had been a quite public activist dealing with the New York City public school system for a number of years.

I also said that 2018 is definitely The Year of the Woman in politics and that Cynthia is very intelligent.

But I'm also aware that running a state, especially one as large as New York, is a lot different from acting as one on stage or being an education activist.

On the other hand she does have that friendship with the mayor of the Big Apple to count on.

So who knows?

Maybe some day that young actress I got to know when she visited her dad in Mexico back in the 1980's may have a much larger platform in the 21st Century.


("Need a press secretary, Cynthia?") 

I do know one thing.

Her father would be even prouder of her than he was way back then in Guadalajara.


9 comments:

  1. Love that picture! Those were the days..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend's daughter is a very smart woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sex and the Governor's Office---a sequel in the making.
    It's a big step, but she has impressed folks with advocacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small world!

    Will she stay out of the Cattrall-Parker war?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, how wonderful to see people not locked into their professions. After all there are many who think Oprah will be on the ballot for President next time around. Ronald Reagan was an actor. Arnold was an actor. Who knew? Nothing surprises me in politics these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oprah has said repeatedly that she has absolutely no intention of ever being a political candidate.

      Delete
  6. Why not? Every politician has only so much experience. Most learn as they go. Or fail to, as the case may be.

    I love that so many women are saying "Why not?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool that you met her way back when! My impression is that she's smart and capable, and I can certainly think of far less qualified individuals to hold public office. As we've seen, for better and for worse, a "celebrity factor" seems to boost candidates who are well known from show business (Reagan, Fred Grandy, Schwarzenegger, Fred Thompson and Trump all come to mind).

    ReplyDelete