Saturday, July 11, 2020

SLAP-HAPPY SATURDAY

Lacking any wisdomatical thoughts to blog about today I resorted to a blogger's fallback.

My photo files.


In a true Sisyphean manner, I began to push the boulder of inspiration.

And I came up with this:


The ugliest dog in the world, as we named him after he slunk up to us on a beach in Mexico.

Unless I'm wrong, he's one of a variety of hairless dogs known as Xoloitzuintles.

They are celebrated in ceramic in the state of Colima where they are known as Colima Dogs.

They've been found in burial sites in both the Toltec and the Mayan cultures.


But they were also considered to be delicacies at the dinner table so you might wonder why these two are dancing.

This guy, a dear departed member of the BRD's family, obviously is not one of the hairless variety.


Perhaps on the same night that picture was taken, one of his housemates had found the perfect place for a nap.


Jet is still with her, a dark presence in the family.

Speaking of dark, these two seemed not only to be dark but in the dark, puzzling over a birdbath fountain in Crosstown Lori's front yard.


At our birdbath, a couple of house finches were more delicate in satisfying their thirst.


But another avian visitor seemed to be saying, "Hey!  It's a bird bath, isn't it??!!"


Well, all of this work just to get a blog post has me positively exhausted.

So I'm just going to go back to mulling the peculiarities of this sultry Saturday.


8 comments:

  1. I thought that that dog was a pig! And not a good looking one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you. Uninspired but trying, as well. I figure it's the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss those juvenile crows! They were a hoot, though the parents left horrible things washing in the birdbath on trash day. Haven't had any since. With this 100 degree day though I may see some birds of prey. It's a big job keeping 2 birdbaths full during hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for old photos! I used an over-50-years-old one in my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do good.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. LL: Those are ravens, not crows. Ravens populate populated areas, crows stick to the open spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, poor homely dog! I would think they'd run the risk of getting sunburned in Mexico, with no hair!

    ReplyDelete