Wednesday, August 5, 2020

A DAY OUT . . AND A WARNING

SWMBO and I went for a rare outing yesterday.

She was starting to get that look on her face that was beautifully described by Raymond Chandler in his detective story "Red Wind" writing about California's Santa Ana wind season: 

"Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks."

Well, maybe she wasn't to that point but she was getting testy and anxious to see some of the world other than that inside the four walls of our home.

So we headed out with a picnic lunch in a cooler, looking for cooler temperatures.


The BRD had suggested Goldwater Lake, south of Prescott, so I drove there.


The tiny park was fairly crowded and, even at close to 6,000 feet, the temperature was in the low 90's on a sunny day.


We sat in the air condtioned car watching kayakers and ducks on the lake, then left and headed further south and higher.


Beautiful scenery of towering pine trees in Groom Creek and the summer camps areas but when the highway lost it's pavement I turned around and headed back.


Still hot as we passed an elevation sign that put us at over 6,100 feet.


We saw a young deer muching his lunch right beside the road.


He didn't flinch as we came by, just gazed at us and kept chewing.


We came back down from the heights and found a parking place on the famed Courthouse Square in central Prescott and people-watched as we ate our picnic lunch in the car.


Finally back home again.


We agreed that it had been a good day, lightening the dark moods caused by months of self-isolation, face masks and social distancing.


But here's the thing: even though I had my smartphone with camera I never thought to take a single picture.


Am I an idiot or not?


So, I was grateful for the contribution from the Cheerful Monk (you can find her blog listed to the right).


Here's one of what she sent and don't say I didn't warn you.




Happy trails!

10 comments:

  1. Great joke! My friend in Michigan said to me, "It's the strangest thing. I think I am losing my hearing when I wear my mask." Which I had to think about a minute since I am experiencing the same, and then the light bulb goes off. "You can't hear them because THEY are wearing a mask, too." I think my brain is going when I wear my mask. Such a distraction, especially in 100 degree weather.

    The up side is that we are all going to get good at smiling with our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only my better half could read my expressions, he might have suggested that :-)

    I love the meme, I've seen it here and there and it is so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't need the photos as you painted great word pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sounds like a lovely day out. I might do the something similar tomorrow although I won't bother to try to get out of the heat. That won't be possible.
    I was in that Christmas store in Rothenburg and I even bought an ornament there. Maybe we were there at the same time. Stranger things have happened. I do recall getting a delicious bratwurst from a street vendor while there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being in Michigan I wish I could go out exploring the mountains in Arizona. I’m sure you would also be happy to change places for a while. A couple of years ago we had a wonderful guided tour of bird life based in Flagstaff so I know. how beautiful your area can be.

    be well... mae at maefood.blgospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely day out. Sorry you didn't take any photos, I would have loved to have seen some of the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A day out does wonders, even if you don't take pictures to prove it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time out of isolation is a welcome thing these days.

    ReplyDelete