Thursday, February 11, 2021

SMOKE AND MIRRORS

 I cooked last night.

Kraft macaroni and cheese, seasoned with a bit of paprika and cayenne, topped (in a small baking dish) with Panko and Parmesan and heated at 350 in our toaster oven.

Spicy and delicious though a little dry.

That was actually a side to my pan-seared pork chops seasoned with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.

That's where the smoke comes in.

I mistakenly tossed them in the skillet with the heat on high, not medium high as the recipe stated.

Before I knew it and realized my error the house was filled with smoke.

The oven exhaust fan wasn't doing the job but fortunately SWMBO got our ceiling fans fired up and windows and doors opened and eventually the smoke cleared.

And the smoke detectors didn't start screaming.

Amazingly the chops were not burned to a crisp and were quite tasty.

The main chef in the house was furious but settled down and enjoyed the meal (more or less).

Now, as to the mirrors.

Blogger friend Steve in London wrote the other day about acquiring a bean bag chair.

I commented that we had had a sort of bean bag back in the day and I would post a photo if I could find it.

Actually ours was a huge pillow-like cushion that I had to strap to the top of our Ford Pinto to get it home from the store.

(That car came to an untimely end but that's another story.)

I don't know what happened to the cushion and I couldn't find the photo.

But to atone, I have this picture of your scribe from back in those hippy-dippy days.




Yes, the hair is down over the ears and those are mutton chop sideburns.

And yes, those are love beads.

And yes, that is a Marlboro smoking in my mouth.

So sue me!

It was a long time ago!

Oh and yes, while it may look like it was taken in a mirror, it really wasn't.

My shame is complete.

I'm outta here. 

11 comments:

  1. I'm sure we all have some photos like that. Oh the wild outfits I had in the 60's and 70's! I'm amazed your smoke alarms didn't go off. Might want to check that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to look for old photos of myself, although I don't know if I'm brave enough to put them on line. You seared those chops very well which made them delicious, in spite of the household smoke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture is a dead ringer for the evil bad guy in "No Country for Old Men". Last name Barden, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Javier Bardem, Mike. And yes, there is a resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were the days!
    I hate Kraft Dinner! Yuck! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that picture. You look like a guitarist from a hippie California band circa 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I'm seeing some Kirk Douglas cleft in that chin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always that that in that photo you look like a British Punk Rocker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm seeing a young Joe Cocker vibe here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last night William was sculpting with bakable clay. We put it in the oven, set the timer. He asked to make himself a microwavable treat. I said that he could. He puttered around around. I heard the door to the microwave slam. A couple minutes later the oven timer dinged. I returned to the kitchen to discover the microwave gushing thick black smoke. He had forgotten to add the water. The little plastic cup had caught fire.

    ReplyDelete