Thursday, February 25, 2021

ThrowBack Thursday

 It was about 1964 and North Dakota's own Lawrence Welk was paying a visit to his ancestral home and a big crowd had come to the Bismarck airport to see him.

Among them were my then-time wife and our two sons.

Welk was moving along a ropeline shaking hands but when he came to my little family he absolutely missed my two year old son, Scott, who then began to cry.

Someone made Welk aware and he returned and hoisted the little boy up to calm him.

A photographer for the local newspaper snapped a picture which he later gave to me.


Move the clock ahead a few years and by then I had divorced, relocated to Indianapolis, and was making a visit back to North Dakota myself.

Here are Scott (with a tooth missing), his brother Troy and I.


By 1971, my ex-wife had re-married and moved to suburban Chicago.

I also had a new mate and we drove up and visited the boys and took them through the Shedd Aquarium before relaxing outside at the shore of Lake Michigan.


Nine years later, I was working in Phoenix but stopped in Washington, D.C. after our news crew covered the Democratic National Convention in New York.

Scott was living in Gaithersburg, Maryland, then and we got together and posed with the U.S. Capitol behind us.



Probably about 1983 Scott flew out to Phoenix and I took him on a tour of some of my favorite spots in Arizona, like Oak Creek Canyon.


That little boy with the missing tooth had grown into a handsome young man.


Living as we did, in two separate families, often thousands of miles apart, we never were close but we always enjoyed each other's company when we did get together.

I last saw him in 2001 when he was helping move the company he then worked for from Los Angeles to Scottsdale.

We got together for dinner shortly before he moved once again to Orlando, Florida.



His mother called on New Year's Day this year.

Scott Alan Taylor died of a heart attack in his sleep at her home in Southern California the previous afternoon.

He was 57.

22 comments:

  1. Geezus. I'm so sorry Bruce. I can't imagine. I hope there is some comfort in the times together you had.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences. It was such a happy story until the last line. No parent should outlive their children; and to have it be so sudden. I hope you are holding up well. He did look happy when he was with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such heartbreaking news. My deepest condolences to you and to all who loved your beautiful son Scott. May his memory always be for a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. I had no idea. 57 is way too young. He looked a lot like your adorable childhood photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very sad indeed, sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to read this, but what a beautifully written and poignant post. Thinking of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry fir your loss. My sympathy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the loss. we send our sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful love story, Bruce. Thanks for sharing and God bless you and the family during this tragic lposs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear this, Bruce. Even though a lot of time and distance kept you apart, this can't have been easy news. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss. My son Scott was killed in a car-accident 27 years ago...forever 21.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss. That had to have been very sad news to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only 57 - not a long life. A shock to outlive your own child. Life can be brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always a bit of a shock to hear about the death of someone dear to us. At my age, there's always a bit of a jolt when I realize that they are younger than I.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry for your loss. He was my age, which means he was much too young to leave us this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear about this Bruce. That's a tough loss for a parent to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your love for your son is in every word you wrote...his love for you shows in every picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Finally saw your blog a short while ago. I don't believe Gayle told me this and I'm so sorry to hear. My thoughts are with you my friend...

    ReplyDelete