Saturday, April 15, 2023

THE STAFF OF LIFE

 SWMBO, my wife, would probably tell you that nothing is better than homemade bread.

Nothing smells as good.

Nothing tastes as good.

So I try to keep her happy.

And because making bread is one of the easiest kitchen duties I can imagine.

Recently I tried one of Jacques Pépin's recipes.

It's for soda bread and he insisted that it was simple and fast.

In fact, it was.

Here's my first loaf ever.



Judy gave her approval and much of it disappeared as we munched on an inside picnic dinner Thursday evening.



Thanks, Jacques!

Or should I say "Merci beaucoup".

15 comments:

  1. It all looks so good and so nicely displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread is gorgeous! I hope you've got my room ready for me for when I move in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that jimica with watermelon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! And merci beaucoup is quite appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy!

    At present I seem to be without much of an appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bake the most delicious looking breads. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone else's bread turns out so much better than mine. At least I can make a decent apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once heard an author talk about her Irish childhood. Her grandmother loved to make soda bread. She said that she loved to knead the dough, that it was very soothing to her. The best part? When she was done, he nails were so nice and clean looking. The girl was aghast and said, "But, Gran! You do understand where the dirt has gone...."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just baked a baguette and a few rolls for our spaghetti carbonara in an hour or so. I brushed them down with garlic butter.

    ReplyDelete