Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Highland Games

I paid a visit to the Highland Games at Watson Lake Park this morning, a festival of all things Scottish.




Gaining a lot of attention was the caber toss, in which contestants hoist a 23-foot-long wooden pole, take a few steps and try to throw it in such a way that it tumbles end over end.



It's not easy to do at all but just try doing it while wearing a skirt! O.K., I know they're called kilts and they're traditional Scottish garb. And I would never think of making fun of them. These guys are strong.

Then there are the Jacobites, who brought weapons.



There was traditional musical entertainment, provided by a group called the Knockabouts, from Flagstaff.

I couldn't help wonder if this lassy might have turned up at the wrong festival.

But the fellow wearing this shirt was definitely in the right place!

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Joan, you should have been here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you had a great time today! referring to that log toss, i found myself wondering how in the world did they even pick the thing up?? thanks for sharing some great photos with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheri - It's all balance. And strength. But I wouldn't try it. Even 50 years ago! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nephew used to compete in Highland games all over Canada and the US. Not sure if he ever made it to Scotland! He was a champion caber tosser and hammer thrower. Now he and his parents officiate at the games. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now there's a local event that I really would like to have seen! Thanks for the report.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! It was a beautiful day for it. I would have enjoyed going too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yemalla and Granny J - You're welcome.

    Jarart - It was a perfect day weatherwise, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do enjoy your pictures. It has to take massive strength to toss those darn things. And no -- I wouldn't dare make fun of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jerry - I wouldn't even like to be the safety guy who stands behind the thrower!

    ReplyDelete