Thursday, August 24, 2017

TBT

I have just finished reading a book titled "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", by Michael Chabon.

It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2001.

I used to see it when Judy and I ran our bookstore but only very recently got around to it.

At just over 650 pages, it is a bit of a challenge.

And it's subject matter may challenge some.

It varies between a young Jewish man making an escape from Prague just prior to the beginning of World War Two, magic tricks and escape stunts, comic book art, the unfairness of the business world, romance, homosexuality, life and death.

But I found it a spellbinder.

And mixing in familiar names like Morton Gould, Milton Caniff, Stan Lee, Harry Houdini, Scarne, Orson Welles, Dolores Del Rio and many more brought memories back to me.

I, too, grew up on comic books and magic.


With my mother's help at costumery, I sported a black cape and (cardboard) top hat as a lad to perform shows for a few friends as The Great Taylor.

I had quite a library of books by the aforementioned Scarne, Houdini, Harry Blackstone and others.

But while I did know a few card tricks, unlike the great Scarne I could never master the art of unerringly producing four aces from a deck on command.


In other words, that picture is as fake as it is fuzzy.

7 comments:

  1. It helps to hide the second set of aces in your turtleneck.

    Damn, just gave away one of my cheating strategies.

    I've heard of the author, just not this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never play cards for money with a man named Doc.

      Delete
  2. Heh....good hand. read some of the books, not all.
    Best to you, new pacemaker battery working ok?
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture of "The Great Taylor."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Great Taylor. That is priceless. I used to make costumes for my son's adventures. He was the era of Thunder Cats and I made all manner of cat-like costumes and GI Joe and Crocodile Dundee. Once I didn't have to make Halloween costumes anymore, I sold my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The magic man.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete