Thursday, October 26, 2017

TBT - TIME WITH FATS

The first celebrity interview I ever conducted was with the man who died Tuesday - Fats Domino.


It was in about 1961, I'd guess, and I was doing my "Bruce on the Loose" gig as a rock and roll disc jockey at KCJB radio in Minot, North Dakota.

I don't remember much of the details but apparently our radio station had brought Domino to do a show and there came an opportunity in the afternoon to interview him live on the air.

I normally worked the night shift, signing the station off the air at midnight, but on this day I was working in the afternoon, replacing the regular dj who filled that space.

Someone from higher up in the food chain suddenly came into the control room and told me to call such and such a number and talk to Fats Domino at his hotel room.

So I did it.

He was very nice and cooperative with a young radio announcer's inane questions.

All I can remember is listening back to the tape we made of the interview.

I would ask a question, he would answer it, I would intone a serious "I see", and he would sort of grunt, in a high-pitched tone, "un-huh."

I still recall thinking that entire interview consisted of "I see" and  "un-huh", over and over again.

For someone new to the business it wasn't my most shining hour.

I did get better over the many years in broadcasting, I think.

Rest in peace, Fats, and thanks.

17 comments:

  1. Stayed at the same hotel he was staying in for a concert here in Germany. Got to say hi, but no interview.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at the Unterfrankenhalle, Aschaffenburg, 7 Nov 92.

      Steve

      Delete
  2. What a great opportunity and memory. I would call him a bit of a pioneer in the music business. He was a great artist.
    Yes, I've been to Butterfly Wonderland but, it's been about two years. I guess it's time to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some broadcasters never learn, you did my friend. Good memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it hard to believe that even as a young Bruce on the Loose DJ you were short on questions. Later in life you were an excellent interviewer and great ad libber, never short on words and often wit. I thought you were probably a wise cracker even back in the day.
    Had the chance to see Fats a couple of times-once at a night club popular with the locals and college kids and when our station brought him in as part of a Caravan of Stars. He was a pillar in the early days of rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fun encounter with a celebrity. Not everyone is a great interview and I bet you did better than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a musician, and a long life lived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I found my thrill
    On Blueberry Hill
    On Blueberry Hill
    When I found you"

    I grew up with that song (I turned 12 in '61), and it's still there. In my mind's bittersweet tableau, and it's Utopic dreams, there will always be a Blueberry Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great opportunity for your first celebrity interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.K. So when do I get YOU in front of a microphone?

      Delete
  9. I fully believe what Tom wrote above (below?), regarding your loss of words. You've had so many meetings with the cognoscenti of the world, it must be a vast treasure of memories. Hope things are well, Bruce.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is SO good to have a fan club!!! :D))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fats passing has saddened me more than most recently. We're losing the greats from that era every day it seems, but I enjoyed few, if any, more than Antonie Fats Domino. RIP Fats.

    And it was good to hear that he was a nice guy, too. Nice story, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another member of your fan club, although it's got nothing to do with your DJ past. 🙂

    ReplyDelete