Thursday, December 28, 2017

MY BLACK TWIN

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was sitting at a crowded bar in Bismarck, North Dakota, sharing a drink with a friend I'd made.

His name was Cornell Wiley and he was an African-American musician who would come through town with his trio several times a year.

They were very popular and this was at a time when I was spending a lot of time in bars.

Suddenly the guy on the other side of me who'd probably spent too much time in the bar that evening poked me rudely in the shoulder.

When I turned he said "what are you doin' drinkin' with that colored guy?"

I glanced at Cornell, then turned back to the interloper and responded "Oh, I thought I was the colored guy."

Apparently that shut the intoxicated fellow up.

I've always had friends of races other than my own and I never thought a lot about it.

All of which is to introduce you to another friend of mine who commented on my Facebook post of yesterday.

His name is Ron Brooks and he was a sportscaster back in the 70's when we both worked at a t.v. station in Phoenix.


That's Brooksie dressed to the nines for some event, shaking hands with my pal Baseball Steve back in the day.

Ron and I learned that we shared a birthday and one year our office gal, Sally Rojo, brought a cake to work that she'd made for our birthday.

One side had white frosting, the other side had chocolate.

Everybody laughed and we all had a good time eating cake.

I just spoke on the phone with Ron this morning and figured this was a good time to surprise him with this picture.

Take care, brother!

10 comments:

  1. I've been great friends with a black woman since the 70's. One wintery, stormy night she and went to Johnny D's in Somerville Ma. to see Toni Lee Washington, the Queen of Boston Blues. We had a table for 4 and we befriended and young white guy and his black girlfriend,they joined us. Lee and I were a middle aged couple at the time. After a couple of sets I made my way to the men's room. I'm standing there, a typical. clueless Boston mug at the next urinal says, "You and your old lady got a couple of nice lookin' kids"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a reverse oreo! Like that cake at the station party, you are only white frosting on the outside. But just don't dance or you'll blow that mystique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a story, and it's a terrific portrait of both your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great memory. Racism is one of humanities great "evils' and really makes no sense. Our greatness lies in our diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have a birthday twin; I mean even the YEAR was the same!!! at work...he left but we stay in touch. Not black, though. Although I'm married to a Fillipino. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Story! By the way this TK-76 I believe ended up at KAET PBS8 and is now at the SMECC Museum project. What tripod head is that and what sticks were used? I will try to reunite the go-withs for the display... It is important to save all this material. any more wonder photos like the one in this article? Continue to write up stories to go with them too! This was indeed a great story! Ed Sharpe archivist for smecc www.smecc.org info@smecc.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, you'll probably have to ask Steve those questions.

      Delete
  7. That was a good retort, in the bar! Quick thinking on your part! Glad you're still in touch with so many good people from your past.

    ReplyDelete