Monday, March 19, 2018

FWIW

Montana Mike (Genial Misanthrope/Should Fish More) inquired yesterday after the health of SWMBO and my own self and after reassuring him that neither of us was, as far as is known, at death's door, it occurred to me that I have not posted an update on our relative health for the rest of you for awhile.

So, as the post title says in abbreviated form, For What It's Worth here goes.

The captain of the ship, aka SWMBO aka Judy, is suffering through several weeks of physical therapy torture, as she refers to it.

She had reached a level of agonizing pain in both hips and both knees about a month ago and got in to see her orthopaedic doctor (actually his physician's assistant) to inquire about a shot or two of pain killer into the hip that was bothering her the most.

Instead, after examining her and probing and pressing on her various and sundry pain points, he informed her that an injection wouldn't do any good because the inflammation, or whatever it was, was so widespread.

Instead he prescribed PT at the torture chamber next door.

That was several weeks ago, as I said earlier, and while the massages and exercises are not of a pleasurable nature, the end result has been an improvement.

Her mobility is better and her pain less so labor on she will, at least for the balance of this month.

Judy's problems are caused partially by the femur fracture she suffered last June but even moreso by the fibromyalgia she has endured for many years.

If you have a choice, don't get it.

As for myself, I'm at a bit of a plateau in my weight loss program.

Can't figure out why.


Well there is that.

I have slackened off a bit in my regime in recent days but I'm just happy I haven't gained back any of the pounds I've shed.

And SWMBO reminds me that plateaus are to be expected in any type of diet.

So my next goal is to break the 200 barrier and I'm less than 5 pounds from that as of this morning's weigh-in.

It may seem like a lot of weight to carry to some of you loathsomely lithe Gentle Readers.

But let me remind you that I AM 6-feet and one inch tall  (having compressed in my declining years from 6-foot-2) and I am a stupidly sedate individual.

I mean SOMEONE has to sit in this chair all day coming up with these scintillating sagas of my existence.

And I AM down from 221 at around the first of February and 241 at the height of my slovenliness a year or two ago.

As for my health it is normal for someone of my advanced years.

(Should I survive for a mere five more weeks I will reach the accomplishment of 78 years on the earth, rather than under it.)

My blood pressure is back to a quite satisfying number after I cut the medicine which supposedly controls it in half.

And the extrinsic pathway of coagulation of my blood is returning to a normal ratio since I slightly increased the amount of medication I take for it.

(Note to Mike and others: I have no idea what I wrote in the first part of that last paragraph; I found it on the Interwebs.)

Both medication adjustments, I hasten to add, came under directions from my various medicos.

In general, I have the normal aches and pains and occasional sleep disorders of a dinosaur like myself but I am pleased and somewhat surprised to still be perambulating.

So there.

Now back to my diet.


10 comments:

  1. What your health report did not contain is the joy factor in your days. If I am not mistaken you and SWMBO are examples of intellectual facility and stimulation and find that life contains nuggets of gusto. Lead on oh maestros of life lived fully and satisfactorily. We wish Judy relief from the pain. It would be a shame to bench or put on the IR, such a genius in the food lab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Physical therapy certainly isn't a breeze.

    And who can pass up a spoonful of ice cream?

    Or a bowlful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for the both of you,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I hate the most about aging? (Other than the fact I don't feel old in my head) The worst thing is being really tired, getting into a nice cozy bed and dropping off instantly and then waking up 4 damn hours later at 2:30 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are both heading in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I want to complain about aging, I consider the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having spring at your door almost all year round should help in reducing pains and aches.
    Glad to read that you are in the right direction concerning your health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sympathise and empathise with both of you, Bruce. Most sincere good wishes for perfect health...ok, maybe not perfect but as near as possible...and continued good humor and life enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy that Judy's aches and pains may be lessening. I have gone the PT route myself, but I have had such good luck with a terrific therapist. Aches and pains aren't fun at ll Congratulations on your weight loss; it's not an easy thing t do. Carry on!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doing some remedial PT myself, so Judy has my complete empathy.

    ReplyDelete