Monday, June 4, 2018

THE DEVIL PAYS A VISIT

Could SWMBO's muralizing have angered Mother Nature?

It may have seemed that way today when I was sitting only feet away from it at my desk by the window when a dust devil came right over the fence and through the back yard.

If you're not familiar with "dust devils", allow me to explain.

They are relatively small whirlwinds formed when hot air near the earth's surface rises quickly through cooler air above it.

They are similar to tornadoes though usually of less intensity.

They normally appear on hot, clear and sunny days over flat land.

Here's what one looks like, courtesy of Wikipedia.



So there I was, at my desk, when a dust devil came right over the famous partially-muralized fence and charged through our back yard.

A chair and several plants in pots were blown over and remember that pretty bird bath I was trying to figure out what to do with?


It has seen better days and is now headed for the scrap heap.

The fence?

It withstood the mighty blow.

And the work goes on.

10 comments:

  1. Gorilla glue, my friend, gorilla glue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen dust devils here, going through fields. Not that much in the way of damage as they go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the destruction, but glad to know the fence painting survived.
    Keep us posted, and as they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a shame. I've seen people take broken pieces like that and using them as a decorative table top, but I ghess the pieces have to be flat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We salvaged the large pieces and are using them as a Picasso-esque display. Pictures to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOOOOO! Not the bird bath! At least the fence withstood the devil. I've only seen small dust devils here, going up the gravel road, about three feet high. It seems to take too much energy out of them to go over the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, Val, not the BLUE bird bath. This one was negligible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed the post about the mural and I love it! It looks fantastic. Dust devil season is upon us.

    ReplyDelete