Tuesday, June 5, 2018

39 x 2

I was waiting in a fast food restaurant yesterday and was engaged by a woman in idle conversation who said something like "I hope we're all still learning."

The subject was a (presumably) 2 year old child who was trying out his voice.

Anyway, I thought of saying to the woman "I'm 39 and I'm still learning," and then adding "Actually I'm 39 twice!"

I didn't speak those thoughts aloud but then I started doing some mental arithmetic and realized that 39 twice is exactly my age now.

I told SWMBO about it when I got home and she commented "For awhile, anyway."

Talk about puncturing one's balloon!

Anyway, back to the back "yard" projects.

You may recall that we lost a glass birdbath to a dust devil yesterday.

I was planning on putting it into the dumpster because it was beyond repair but then I thought "Hey, why not use the two largest pieces as a decorative item."

And that's what I did, with SWMBO's direction.


I rather like it.

Speaking of SWMBO, she continues to paint "her" fence.

Last night she was adding more blue, creating a sky above the green hills.


You will note that she has made a more distant mountain range above the closer hills.

The work goes on, though it is too hot during the day to paint so she does a little in the evenings when the temperatures have dropped a bit.

Stay tuned.

15 comments:

  1. The reclamation piece looks good. The fence looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the end result of the fence and the broken pieces look just perfect.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your sagacious commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good use for the damaged pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, going along at a good pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes time but yes. She's a wonder, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like two plates partially buried and hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a prehistoric dig! Those are valuable relics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fence is shaping up. I guess SWMBO could go all Tom Sawyer during the heat of the day, and possibly trade for a new birdbath by giving someone the privilege of painting the fence. Only the solid color parts, so she could go over it again at her leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've warned her not to try that with me. Now, some of the neighborhood kids . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well the painted part looks good, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breaking can bring out beauty. I have a rusted out, salvaged fire pit framing the bearded irises.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking good! I like what you did with the birdbath pieces.

    ReplyDelete