Wednesday, June 6, 2018

THE SIXTH OF JUNE

Today always means something to me.

Not because of the anniversary of D-Day in World War Two.

And not because it is the anniversary of the day SWMBO and I entered Mexico on our 4+ year adventure back in 1987.

No, it's because it is the anniversary of my mother's birth back in 1904.

Hattie Loretta Hylland Taylor was born one-hundred-and-fourteen years ago.

Amazing.


She was a school teacher in a one-room schoolhouse on the North Dakota prairie when my dad found her.

As young people do they fell in love and were married.


Seems like they ought to have been happier, doesn't it?

Oh they were.

They spent their honeymoon and much of the first year of their marriage "snowed in" on a North Dakota ranch.

Later on, they posed for what I always think of as their "Bonnie and Clyde" picture.


She gave birth to me when she was approaching her 36th birthday.

And 13 years later she was gone, the victim of a brain tumor.

65 years ago but I still think of my childhood memories of her every June 6th.

11 comments:

  1. Dates like that always end up drawing back memories, long after they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birthdays bring back memories. A nice tribute to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was a beauty, but I worry that her feet were cold in that car picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How tragic that she died so young -- but thank goodness you remember her. I love the photos. Funny how people were always so serious in these older pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning,

    My dad was born in 1904 as well. I buried him at 98 years of age, in Bend Oregon, at what seems like only yesterday. Thanks for giving me the perspective of just how long ago that was.
    Time flies when you're having fun.
    Your mom was a beautiful woman.

    Thanks for the blog, one of my favorite stops each morning.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, thanks for stopping by and the kind words.

    As a matter of fact, thanks to all of you. I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete