Monday, October 29, 2018

FARMERS' MARKET

I visited the inaugural Sunday Farmers' Market in Prescott Valley yesterday.

The organizers had warned there would only be about 15 vendors the first time but they had hopes that it would grow.

I walked around and visited with several of them and they all said they would be back next week.

One man had a big display of peppers of all kinds.


I was particularly taken by something I hadn't seen before - purple Bell peppers.


He said they were sweet and though I didn't buy any yesterday I may in the weeks ahead, if he has them.

I did buy some Shishito peppers from another stand.

They were five dollars for a pound so I asked the little girl running the stand for a pound.

She was carefully weighing them out when her mother returned and said "these haven't been going so give him a bunch more" and started shoveling them into my bag.

But she told the little girl to only charge me for a pound.


This is half or less of what I brought home.

I bagged up about the other half and put them in the freezer.

I tried one raw and it had just a hint of spice.

Judy chopped one and added it to our dinner salad and it gave it a nice tang.

Incidentally the vendor lady had a bag of Ghost Peppers too.

But she told me she doesn't eat them.

Too hot for her.

And for me.

6 comments:

  1. Our farmers market is now past peak vendor time, and will be moving indoors for their weekly time after next week. Yesterday there was snow falling while I was visiting!

    I think I'd stay away from a ghost pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I want to try a purple pepper! I've never seen one. Give us a review if you get one next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I can't get that damn Purple Cow poem out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you are about to become a person who is a purple pepper eater eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen purple bell peppers either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should try the pickled quail eggs!!

    ReplyDelete