Thursday, January 16, 2020

THROWBACK THURSDAY

There's a remarkable piece of reportage by one of my fellow bloggers today.

It's by Cindy and it can be found over on the right side of this page under "NearandFarAZ".

I say it's remarkable because it is about Carmel, Indiana and a couple of surrounding communities.

It's where my wife, the famed SWMBO, grew up and returned to raise her young family.

When I met Judy she lived in a house in a very wooded area, a forest really, just outside of Carmel and she remembers the population being around 3,000 people.

A village.

Today, as Cindy reports, Carmel is home to around 92,000 people and is a modern thriving city on the edge of Indianapolis.

Incidentally a point of interest: the name of the town is pronounced CAR-mel in Indiana.

In California their Carmel is pronounced car-MEL.

I failed to find any pictures of the town back in the day but I have this one of my dear love, from about the time that I met her . . . a girl from Carmel.


Beautiful then . . beautiful now.

8 comments:

  1. Nice and good photo.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great pic of your sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were the days, eh? We remember them well, the way we were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right--a beauty then and a beauty now.

    As for Carmel-it's extraordinary how that little village has become a sick town. So much of it is new and is very designer hip and though it is modern, it looks like it was built a century ago. It has a kind of European flair as well. Mayor Jim Brainard had a vision and it is stunning what has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to know that Carmel didn't have to change the population sign solely due to SWMBO's departure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo! From 3,000 to 92,000 people?! That's insane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The whole northside of Indianapolis has just grown tremendously since you left. (I'm not saying there's any cause and effect involved... ;-))

    I lived in Carmel during the late 70s, just before it really boomed. The last time I was there a few years ago, it was almost unrecognizable.

    For me, the real surprise has been Fishers, which went from a population of under 700 in 1970, when it was a few roads and an old railroad station, to over 90,000 today. Where do all these people come from!

    ReplyDelete