Wednesday, July 15, 2020

FRENCH APPLE CAKE, TAKE TWO

If you're one of those self-styled "foodies", you may recall my post from back in January when I tried a new recipe for a French Apple Cake.

As I said in that post, I found it on David Lebovitz' blog but it purported to be a Dorie Greenspan recipe.

It was tasty and SWMBO designated it a "keeper".

So yesterday I ran across the recipe and the note about "her nibs" comment and decided to make it again.

This time I let it bake a little longer.

(Judy says I'm always too impatient.)

And I may have used a smaller pan.

The result was much better than the first time.


Instead of spectral white, this one came out golden and just a teensy bit crusty around the edges.

And this time instead of adding whipped cream to my "wee slice", I had it with a slash of vanilla ice cream.

Sorry, I didn't take a picture of that or the self-satisfied grin on my face.

But I can give you a close-up of the unsliced hunk of wonderfulness.


Dee-lish!

13 comments:

  1. Spring form pan? I think I've made something similar in the past. Great for breakfast, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL: Yes. Might be too rich for breakfast. 'Course, if you're French . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think mine was called a German Apple Pancake, but it was baked in a spring form pan and looked like that. I think pie is good for breakfast, too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to come and eat at your place! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember - and I made that cake myself. It was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really are quite the baker. That looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really good..recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. gz: And others who want the recipe: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/dorie-greenspan-french-apple-cake-recipe/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks as good as your description.

    ReplyDelete