Tuesday, December 1, 2020

ROADIE

 Sometimes you just have to get out.

SWMBO and I have been pretty much cooped up in our little duplex apartment since last February.

We've taken a few little drives in those many long months but probably too few even for us, who have been trying to obey the rules designed to keep us alive.

But then there's the problem of cabin fever.

As I said, sometimes you just have to get out.

So we (with Judy at the wheel) took a longer drive today.



I asked here where she wanted to go and she said "I'm thinkin' the Cave Creek area."

Now Cave Creek is (or was) a tiny community north of Phoenix.

JUST north of Phoenix.

About 80 miles from home.

I was a little taken aback but true to my stoic Norwegian-English heritage I didn't betray a bit of it.

I merely said "You feel like doin' some drivin'?"

She said "sure" and agreed to drive down if I'd drive back.

So, about an hour and a half later we found ourselves here.


Cave Creek, I remind you, was a "tiny" community.

Back when we first discovered it almost 50 years ago!

Now, it's just a very expensive part of Greater Phoenix.

But what the hey!

We were only visiting, right?

We found ourselves here . .


 . . for a pleasant outdoor lunch.

May I just say the Prickly Pear Margaritas took the dust off that long drive just right.

And the food was good . . perhaps because it was restaurant food, served to us, not cooked by us, too expensive but delightful.

Speaking of cactus, here's what it looks like in the wild.



And there was the stately Saguaro.



Back home this evening and a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey on the television - all in all, a damned nice day.


12 comments:

  1. That sounds like it was safe enough and good for your mental health. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Sounds like a good road trip highlighted by food and drink. Nice pictures as well. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you two! I believe during the pandemic emotional balance is being neglected. Yes! It's good to get out! Obviously Cave Creek is warmer than Prescott because you couldn't have had lunch outside here today. Too cold and windy. Now is when I want to visit Phoenix and Tucson - to warm up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Sounds like a good outing! I need one of those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a nice day for a lovely journey. Love seeing the cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother and his wife live in Cave Creek. Never been there.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful excursion--just far enough to get away but not an onerous drive. I would like to do the same but I'm always nervous about open bathrooms along the way. I take a blood pressure med that has an unfortunate side effect. :) I do miss my time eating out; my boyfriend and I used to hit Happy Hours twice a week or so. Not having to cook and enjoying different dishes seems well worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I envy you being able to get out and about. We are hunkered down here trying to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite a drive! But I bet it felt good to be out. I actually took a late afternoon walk at the Desert Botanical Garden. When I got home, I felt like a weight had been lifted. Getting outdoors is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like the best kind of day! That last shot is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We really need a road trip, we went to Santa Barbara 4 months ago, since then...zip. Our neighbor Carole (88 years old and healthy) probably hasn't been more than 100 feet from her house since last winter.

    ReplyDelete