Saturday, November 27, 2021

TKSGVG RECAP

 Thanksgiving 2021 is now a thing of the past and it was a success in our house.

The Head Chef (aka SWMBO), I remind you, does not like turkey so we usually have roast pork tenderloin on this day.

This year she tried a new recipe and it was delicious.

Slow Cooker Pork Loin Roast with a Honey Butter Sauce.

It began with a spice rub that included some cayenne to give it a bit of a bite and then was cooked slowly in the sauce that included honey, garlic, red cider vinegar and a lot of butter.

Wow!




This photo doesn't really do justice to it because the sauce was spooned over the pork, there was gravy on the mashed potatoes and spicy stuffing and a white marmalade sauce on the sweet potato medallions.

And the asparagus spears aren't very artfully arranged.

Other than that I could have been a food stylist, right?

The BRD was here to help out, mashing potatoes while the Master attends to her sauces.




She even took on "clean-up" duty once we all had happy tummies.




Don't criticize me: I did the washing of dishes and pots and pans over two days of preparation.

Oh, and yes, there was pie!




The head chef re-created Her Mother's Pumpkin and the BRD brought a Pineapple "Dump" Pie.

All in all a most excellent meal.

But.

Judy says she's been doing this for over 70 years, she's tired, and frankly we just don't eat like this any more.

So she's done the last of these humongous holiday meals.

I said, "That's fine. I'll do Christmas."

Whereupon she ran, screaming, and locked herself in her room!

11 comments:

  1. Her room? Never the less, it looked wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds wonderful. John did a pork roast in a slow cooker with some sauerkraut and apple; it was one of the best things he's made. (and he's an excellent cook) Big meals ARE exhausting! I don't blame Judy. I'm interested in that pineapple dump cake since I've never heard of one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne prepares an incredibly good turkey, but this year we had salmon with an oath from her that she would never "do turkey" again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food all looks so delicious. And the dishes happen to be among my favourites. It is a lot of work to get it all done so I don't blame your leader for retiring as a chef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it looks like a fabulous meal, but I don't blame Judy. We usually keep holidays pretty simple around here! (When we don't go out, like we did this year.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m sure it was superb! I think we’ll try doing those sweet potato medallions. The pork also sounds like a future project. To get Judy out of her room you might tell her that for Christmas you will make reservations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Jager... ever hear of "A Room of One's Own"? Virginia Wolfe did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a time for everything. Though it's not too bad to cook if someone else does all the cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good! No asparagus or sweet potato medallions for me, and I'll try the pineapple dump pie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! It is a LOT of work.

    ReplyDelete