Tuesday, December 7, 2021

DECEMBER BLUES

 Blast!

It's that time of year again.

I seem to remember a time when I liked December.

Many, many, many years ago.

Now I'm overcome with ennui, facing the Xmas onslaught.

I made a batch of cookies about a week ago.

SWMBO has made a batch of different cookies today.

It doesn't do anything for me.

Yesterday, or was it the day before, I found a message on my telephone answering service, noting that I hadn't blogged recently and wondering if I was okay.

I didn't even have the energy to call my inquirer back.

I emailed a brief note, indicating that all was well.

That's a lie: the weather has turned cold.

(For Arizona. High temperatures in the 50's.)

The past two days the mail delivery has revealed a few Christmas cards.

I've been saying it for years but I think this year I really mean it: I'm not going to send cards this year.

I suppose some people will be offended though I'm not sure anyone will even notice.

I read a few blogs this evening but couldn't think of anything to say in the comments so I didn't.

Perhaps the most likely response that comes to mind is a famous or infamous one: BAH! HUMBUG!


11 comments:

  1. I hate Christmas. It's a difficult time of year that weighs heavily on my depression. Come the 27th or so, I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of Christmas but I do love Christmas baking. Weird, I know. I love the funny and I will steal it. And have a lovely, relaxing, last month of the year:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, can I copy and paste this on the Dharma Bums for the next time I feel this way? I don't even celebrate the holidays, but the ambiance of blues is everywhere.
    Thank you for writing this, Catalyst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very hard month for me, and I am only as jolly as I want to be. (which isn't much or often) I do New Year cards and always with hope for a better year. This year I'm feeling so hopeless that I'm not sure I'm going to send any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way. I wrote our Christmas poem, but as usual, it was a dirge. Fortunately we figured out it's Mike's turn so hopefully his will be more uplifting. But probably not - he's even more depressed than I am. Something for you to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The older I get the less I like winter and Christmas sure doesn't feel like the fun it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave up Christmas cards years ago. In this era of Facebook and social media they seem pointless (and wasteful).

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are getting cold weather and light snow. That is depressing enough.

    Steve in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't celebrate Christmas down here...no cards, an email annual letter, very simple. But even when Kaitlin was little our Christmases were low key. So no blues, jsut enjoying our everyday life.

    Your comment about the cold reminds me of a fellow worker when we were in Ithaca NY. Every year I dread winter more and more.

    ReplyDelete