Sunday, May 8, 2022

NOT SO WILD KINGDOM!

 So I was out in the back yard a little bit ago, watering our honeysuckle vine.

Suddenly I spied a intruder visitor.

It fluttered closer and closer and came up to about a foot from me.

Amazingly it did not then dart away.

It stayed, perhaps getting some moisture from the spray from the hose.

And then it landed on a perch, again only about a foot from me and began to preen.

Cautiously I got my phone from my pocket and turned on the camera.

And here's what I got.






You can see from my shadow in the first couple of shots how close it was to me and it showed no fear or alarm.

As it sat on the twig and continued to preen, I cautiously switched the camera to video.

Let's see how that worked.



Now I know it's Mother's Day but does this look like the face of anyone's mother . . let alone a hummingbird's?


Happy Mothers' Day!

20 comments:

  1. That hummingbird did let you get very close. Made me wonder if it was a young one who was out on its own, just learning the ways of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the adults are so tiny so it's hard to say.

      Delete
  2. That's amazing. The hummingbirds around here dart away so fast, I can never get a photo, let alone a video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same usually goes here too so I was amazed that he hung around so long.

      Delete
  3. You got some great shots! I adore hummers. That face is full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It likes you. It really likes you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video! We don't have hummingbirds here so it was nice to see the action. Seems like a bird with a beak that long would have trouble preening. I wonder if it was a young bird that didn't know to be afraid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so fast I don't think they have any fear of anything.

      Delete
  6. I googled Arizona Hummingbirds but failed to identify it. It's nice that that little bird came to see you though. A bit of magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was an Anna's Hummingbird, which are said to be the most common in Arizona.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful.
    Closest I have been to that is a Hummingbird Hawkmoth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen some of them around here too.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet little hummingbird! Some of them are very comfortable around people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Bruce. Thanks for those photos and video. I was out on my patio a few days ago and a little hummingbird buzzed around my head up close and personal about 12 “from my face for about 10 seconds! It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had them do that too. Apparently they're as curious about us as we are about them.

      Delete