Saturday, May 27, 2023

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

 In the United States of America this is the unofficial beginning of Summer.

So the feasting is on.

Barbecue grills with hamburgers, hot dogs, ribs, corn on the cob.

Desserts of rhubarb pie, strawberries over ice cream, watermelon.

Memorial Day, on Monday, is a federal holiday, thus we get a three-day weekend.

But the original meaning was a day set aside to mourn and honor those who lost their lives while serving in the Armed Services.

Originally called Decoration Day, the graves of those warriors were marked with small flags.

My only relative that I know who died in service is buried far away.

But I was up this morning putting in a couple of hooks so we too could fly our flag.

It's out there now in front of our home, fluttering in the breeze.




As we gather on patios and in back yards and swimming pools and ball parks, let us enjoy the good food and the good friends and the good times.

But never forgetting why we have this weekend.

13 comments:

  1. We have hardly had Spring yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I see from your blog that you were out in your yard in your shorts today!

      Delete
  2. I have a large flag that was sent to my family by the Veteran's Administration after my father died. I often think about hanging it on Veteran's Day, but always forget. Maybe this year I'll remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorial Day is Monday. There's your chance.

      Delete
  3. My Grandmother and her sisters called it Decoration Day. They emigrated her from England. One of my earliest memories is the smell of Peonies and Iris bouquets, wrapped in newspaper as we drove them to the cemeteries. Most of them were widows. Then we'd go home where I attached a transistor radio to my bike, and drove around the block repeatedly, listening to Sid Collins broadcast the INDIANANPOLIS 500. tc in Cambria

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have ANZAC Day in April to remember our fallen heroes and Rememberance Day in November too, there's BBQs and beer but not a lot of flag flying, it's not a thing we do downunder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said.

    Complete aside: rhubarb pie? Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reserve my most solemn salutes for the young men and a few women who died in pointless and avoidable conflicts - Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan to name but four. What the hell were they fighting for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's in the 50s here today & pouring rain. Much better atmosphere for remembering the dead than our usual weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom's birthday is on traditional Memorial Day (May 30); they changed it to a three day weekend in 1970. Until then it was like Veterans Day and fell on whatever day. I think it's better for workers but makes people less aware of why they have a three day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect way to honor the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We must always remember the sacrifices made for us.

    ReplyDelete