Sunday, June 4, 2023

St. James Infirmary - Another Version

Yesterday's post featured a version of the St. James Infirmary Blues, performed by Arlo Guthrie.

The classic has been recorded by almost everyone.

But my friend Gentleman Jim commented that he heard a version many years ago that had become his all time favorite.

That performance was by the legendary New Orleans trumpeter Louis Armstrong.

I'm sure I too had heard that version back in my younger days and since I, too, am a big fan of Satchmo I thought I'd offer it up here and give all of you readers, commenters and lurkers a chance to say which is YOUR favorite.


6 comments:

  1. Ever see the picture of schoolboy Hugh Masakela running down the street and leaping the air with the trumpet Louis Armstrong gave him? Satchmo was as good a human as he was a musician

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to decide but I have to go with Arlo since I'm a big fan of his and I think I relate to his version more. Love them both though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything by Louis Armstrong. Thank you!
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a tough choice, I like them both but this one is a classic.

    ReplyDelete