Wednesday, July 17, 2024

MOVIE TIME

We dipped into the past yesterday to watch an old favorite movie.

"Tempest" is a Paul Mazursky film with an all-star cast.

John Cassavetes, Gena Rowlands, Mollie Ringwald, Susan Sarandon, Vittorio Gassman, and Raul Julia, among others.

Ringwald made her movie debut at the age of 14 and won a Golden Globe nomination for it.

Sarandon never looked more luscious, especially in a wet shirt.

Raul Julia is wonderful as a crazy Greek shepherd dancing with his goats while yearning for tourists.

We loved the film back when we first saw it in 1982 and still this time around 42 years later!

Here's a taste:




It may be a version of Shakespeae's Tempest but it translates into modern times with good humor.

We found and rented it on Fandango but it's available from other services also.

For me, it lived up to its long remembered line from Cassavetes' character: "Show me the magic"!

16 comments:

  1. I had never heard of it...thanks for the education. It's fun to go back and revisit old favorite movies and old favorite books. 😊
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just watched it again (twice in two days) and introduced it to our daughter, who also loved it.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of it, but it is an all-star cast! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of this one, it's before my time maybe, though I know the names of the actors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of big names in this one.

      Delete
    2. It's from 1982, which explains why I haven't seen it. I was elbow deep in children aged 1 to 9.

      Delete
  4. It is hard to think, that 1982 was 42 years ago, I built my first house that summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that was exactly half my life ago.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure I've even heard of this movie, which is surprising considering how much I like Cassavetes, Rowlands, Sarandon and Ringwald. I'm going to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As YP says below, it's quirky but I think you'll love it.

      Delete
  6. I remember watching it a long time ago. Perhaps when HBO just started, or my parents had a satellite dish. I liked it, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people may think it's too much but other loonies like me . . . .

      Delete
  7. I have had the taste and now I want the main meal. Seems kind of quirky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is quirky but the acting and the music are great!

      Delete