Tuesday, September 3, 2024

A TEE'S

I was just reading the blog post of a friend in Wales, U.K. who I refer to as Gentle John, partly for his real name and partly for the name of his blog.

His post today was partly about the tee-shirt he had chosen for a visit to his library.

It caused me to reflect on the tee-shirt that I had chosen to wear today so I thought I'd show it to you, as John did his.




The Spirit Room is a long-lived corner bar in a town built on a mountainside not far from where I live now but I haven't been there in years.




Back in the day, I used to visit it regularly, especially on weekend afternoons when live music used to rock the air.

I first discovered it back in 1972 when Jerome was pretty much a ghost town.




The town thrived in the late 19th Century as rich copper mines brought workers to the area.

It was once called "The Wickedest Town in the West" because of the number of bars, gambling parlors and brothels serving the mainly male population that grew to over 10,000.

But the price of copper dropped in the early 20th Century and eventually the mines were shut down.

By the 2020 census, the population was listed as 464.

But residents began promoting it as an art and tourist destination and now the streets are jammed every day of the week.

The town was named for Eugene Jerome a New York financier who put money into the initial mining operation.

He was a cousin of Jennie Jerome, who later married Lord Randolph Churchill and became the mother of Winston Churchill.

"And that", as Paul Harvey used to say, "is the rest of the story."

Here, by the way, is the back of my tee-shirt, gifted to me by the BAD years ago.

13 comments:

  1. Very cool. I'd read John's post earlier, saw his library tee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drove up there, some years back, when on business trip to the area. Was quit a drive to get around the place. Thanks for the memories, and I read John's blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tc-Light/Breezes--nice post. We have had the pleasure of being with you in the Spirit Room at least a couple of times. Always enjoyed our sojourns to Jerome--even those early first outings when there wasn't has much going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that shirt! Hapoy for Jerome but sad that it will lose its uniqueness as gentrification sets in.
    The only cool t-shirt I own has the Irish saying "pog mo thoin".

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a successful story in two ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your t-shirt, back and front. The band could be the Rolling Stones, 50 years from now, because you know they'll never stop playing even after death. I like the look of The Spirit Room too, polished wood, mirrors and the art works too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking that maybe you should go back one afternoon but perhaps we can't go back. To every time there is a season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice rest of the story. T-shirts have replaced ties as something we collect with memories attached. I still need to get rid of most of the ties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of the Spirit Room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tees that come with special and interesting memories!

    ReplyDelete