Thursday, September 5, 2024

THE BAKER

We have new neighbors in the other side of our duplex.

The man is an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) with a fire department.

The woman is a PA (Physician's Assistant).

Before they moved in a truck stopped at the end of our driveway one day as I was returning from the mailbox and the woman in the passenger seat rolled down her window.

I went to see what they wanted and quickly learned that they were the parents of one of our incoming neighbors.

As we chatted, I mentioned how I had spoken to the realtor who was one of the two people who helped me when I had my fall about six weeks ago and said "Wow! With my history it's going to be good to have all that medical help next door!"

When the woman expressed concern I told her that the fall was a very rare occurrence for me, that I was fine and, when she asked if I had trouble standing or walking, I responded "I'm a baker!"

I explained that my baking is only at home and only now and then.

A few days later the new neighbors moved in and Judy suggested that it would be nice to take them some homemade cookies as a welcoming gift.

Cookies which had yet to be baked, I might add.

But I've discovered a new (to me) recipe that is simple and chocolately delicious so I quickly whipped up a batch and later took a plateful over to their door.

I was met by a woman who I quickly learned was the mother of the other side of our new couple and when I presented the cookies, she exclaimed "Oh, you must be the baker!"

My "fame" had preceded me.

At any rate, Judy had moaned that the few cookies that I'd held back for us from that event had definitely Not Been Enough, said these were her new favorite cookie, and begged me to make some more just for us.

So this morning, I made a double batch and here's the weary "baker" with his product.



I said a double-batch which would be 48 cookies but if you had a drone flying over our counter you would see there are only 46 on that cooling rack.

And that's because SWMBO had already snagged two before the photo was taken.

One other thing - Judy and I have a disagreement about how much light is required for any project in the kitchen.

When I come in and see her working in what I refer to as near darkness I quickly turn on a light and say, snarkily, "There! Now you can see what you're doing!"

When I am in the kitchen I turn on every light including a very bright one over the sink that Judy refers to as "the floodlight".

After my efforts in the kitchen this morning I asked her to come in and take the above photograph for me.

When she was done she pointed out that "the floodlight" was lit and said "There's that light on again!"

My quick and somewhat mindless response was "I haven't turned it off yet!"

(I meant that I still had some clean-up duties in the kitchen.)

But her answer to my statement was "Well that's pretty obvious!"

Ain't married life fun?

16 comments:

  1. Your cholatey cookies look divine. YUM ~ !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the light debate. Same at our house. Those lights could burn my eyes out! As soon as possible I dim them when no one is looking. And always ask before coming to the table 'don't forget to turn out the lights!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. You two sound perfect for each other, which apparently you are. My hat's off to a fine couple, and hoping this earns me some of those cookies via fedex.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, I like light in the kitchen! Here in the log room, though I prefer the softness of indirect lighting.
    Those cookies...I hope you share a link to the recipe! I'd like to try something easy and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email address is in my profile. Email me and I'll send you the recipe.

      Delete
  5. What, no recipe? That was a very kind gesture; I was thinking the same thing about how fortuitous to have medically inclined neighbors. But you don't intend to fall again anyway! I'm with you--the lights have to be on when I'm cooking. I don't have a floodlight although I do have a bright kitchen chandelier and then bucket lights too. When both are on, there's LOTS of light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look yummy. Lucky neighbours!
    I like a lot of light in the kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could bake cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m with you about light. I think it’s neat you’re called the Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer light, and have four on when working in the kitchen. An overhead, floods over the sink counter, fluorescents under the cabinets, and one over the table. If Hick had his way, our entire house would be lit by a single 40 watt bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cookies look very dark and I thought you must have burned that batch. I like plenty of light in my kitchen too, but have to make do with the single overhead light in the middle of the ceiling. I don't bake these days anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingredient that makes them dark is cocoa. They're very dark but not burnt.

      Delete
  11. Well done Mr Baker!!
    Yes, I had the same Light discussion with Pirate....I have better low light vision...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! For some reason that photo of you reminds me of Willie Nelson (I think it's because at first I thought your apron straps were braids - ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. By contrast I spend very little time in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete