Tuesday, July 31, 2018

THE "GARDEN"

My blogging friend, Steve in London, has returned from his and Dave's week-long vacation in Cambodia and Vietnam and wrote today about the work he had to do in their amazing back yard.

He said he even had to mow the grass and stake up some of the plants and other tasks.

Which got me to thinking that I should write a short blog post about OUR garden, which has been doing quite well in our monsoon season.


It's not much when compared with Steve's verdant backyard.

Ours is just a few pots of herbs on our back patio.

But it's been supplying a good amount of basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, and mint.

I've never grown fresh herbs before and I'm learning about all I've missed.

I use some basil, some oregano and some parsley both in and on our Friday Night Pizzas and they give them an extra special kick.

Last night Judy made an Italian casserole out of some leftover pasta and red sauce that I had cooked up last week and she threw a handful of herbs into the middle of it, along with some mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.

It was wonderful!

By the way, do you know how to finish off a meal like that?

It may sound strange but it's a taste treat.

Just dunk your remaining slices of garlic toast in your glass of red wine before consuming them.

But back to the "garden".

Our cherry tomato plant is getting leggy but producing a lot of fruit.

And last night, Judy dug up the trumpet vine she had planted that wasn't doing well in the ground and replanted it in a pot next to the tomato plant.


She said that after getting a trim of dead leaves and being staked up and watered it was looking better.

I said maybe it was pining away out of loneliness and just needed a close neighbor.

Only time will tell.

8 comments:

  1. I think you are doing quite well considering the heat you deal with! My cherry tomatoes are about 5 ft tall and covered in fruit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a perfect combination of herbs to include in an omelette. Basil and parmesan is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I tried growing any of that, it would end badly. For the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your bumper crop, and on the new old-garlic-toast technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love growing herbs. Sage is another herb that thrives on neglect. I use it fresh but like it dried even more. I would say that if the tomato plant has no little tomatoes on the leggy part, snip that part off so all the energy of the plant goes into the rest of the plant and the fruit instead of trying to hold up the leggy part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with all those plants. I wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am happy to have inspired a gardening post! We don't do many herbs, and I don't know why -- I've just never had very good luck with them. Yours look amazing, though. I think the dry air where you are may actually help, especially for Mediterranean herbs like basil. Good luck with the trumpet vine -- sometimes plants do better in a pot, and I'm never sure why (except in our case it gets them out of reach of the slugs).

    ReplyDelete