Tuesday, September 18, 2018

IMMIGRATION


This handsome fellow enjoying our bird bath is a Eurasian Collared Dove.

I looked him up on the Great Google and learned that his breed migrated from the Middle East to Europe in the 20th Century.

Then, so the Audubon folks say, it was accidentally brought to the Bahamas, thence to Florida and is now prevalent in most of the United States.

It certainly is prevalent in my neighborhood.

Incidentally there was a Mourning Dove sitting down in the middle of the birdbath cooling off this morning.

I chased him after he'd had his dip because a lot of smaller birds like to use it and he seemed to be keeping them away.

I'm batching for a few days as SWMBO is house (and cat) sitting at the BRD's place while she enjoys the pleasures of Greece with Beau Jack.

10 comments:

  1. He looks like good company to have around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know how a bird was "accidentally" brought from Europe to the Bahamas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I can tell you is they need to have a short soak in a marinade of mainly salt and vinegar, then simmered in a appropriate sauce, curry overpowers the delicate taste, but a lemon and capers and butter will do well. This is what you all are talking about, right?? Cooking them? Apologies, if not.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The European collared dove has made it's way to Alberta. They nest in my neighborhood and like our feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure why as in general I am a bird lover, but I am not fond of doves and pigeons.

    ReplyDelete

  6. The way things are going in this country, that dove will be a great catch when we're all roasting birds on coat hangers under freeway over passes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet another exotic creature that made its way to the USA through Florida! Just like the water hyacinth! (And many others.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've seen one of these down here! I was ASU in Tempe on Monday night and those cute little peach-faced lovebirds were in all the trees around Old Main and the University Club.

    ReplyDelete